Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,840   Posts: 1,582,560   Online: 1010

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    ULarge Format

Who here is buying photographs?

I have found that a major hurdle of being a photographer trying to sell prints is the reluctance of people to spend money - any kind of money - on the purchase of a fine art photograph. There is a huge gap between folks praising your work to no end and actually shelling out the dough to own the piece. They think nothing of spending a 100 bucks for dinner but they would cringe at the idea of spending that on a photograph (although they love both equally, supposedly). I found this to be true of "photographers" as well as non-photographers.

What prompted this post is my seeing a good number of very fine prints ending in no-bid situations on ebay - even with starting bids of a measly $49! Prints by very talented photographers (some, members of this forum I might add) which at $49 constitute a great bargain (but a lousy return for the photographer mind you...and yes, I have purchased several of these myself if you're wondering).

So I am curious as to how many folks here, on a photography forum, do purchase fine art photography. If you do, high praises to you. If you don't. WHY NOT???

Your thoughts?

PS, I am guessing that fewer than 10% of folks here have purchased fine art photographs. Right? Wrong?

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I do.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    On the walls in the room I am in now I took only one of the 4 pictures on the wall. I purchased 2 of the others and the third was from a print exchange. I'm arrogant, so I plan to have more of my own work on the walls
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    90% of the prints in my study/office are fine art prints from many photographers, I currently have over 25 shots 16 x 20 or larger, I have only 2 of my own hanging, so I purchase a lot of prints from others, I don't normally purchase prints off of ebay though, I purchase at shows galleries or through the photograhers websites.

Dave Parker
    Ground Glass Specialties

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I used to have only my own pictures on the walls. Now I have prints by four other photographers - all of them APUG members, three of the prints I bought. Two of them joined APUG after I bought the prints, too!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    The only photos I like to hang on my walls are those I have purchased from other photographers. I am too critical of my own work to bear to see them on a daily basis - the exception being when listing them for the Contact Printers Guild store.
    Francesco

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With limited wall space considering how much we have to hang, buying other people's stuff isn't a top priority, but, we do indeed make occasional purchases. I buy work I know I won't make myself...color prints...and enjoy them very much.

What we do to get the most from our wall space is to rotate work. As my wife is an artist, there are new works to hang and older works to retire and/or sell. My own stuff rarely lasts more than two or three months on a wall. The photographs we've purchased, though, stay up for good.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have bought prints a few times. The print really needs to move me. A few years ago I was dropping work off for a group show at a gallery and was blown away by this one piece on the owners wall. I really liked the work both because it was a great piece and I knew I could never do such a work. It was so different from what I do. It had to go home with me. That's only happened to me a few times, so I don't have a lot of other people's photography hanging on my walls.

Selling aphotographic print is not easy in the first place. I think selling work online is even harder to do then selling through a gallery where the buyer can actually see the work.

Selling work on ebay? at what price? and if your willing to sell a piece on ebay at a lower price just to make a sale, what does that say to a customer who was thinking about buying a piece from a gallery at a much higher price? My opinion is you end up hurting your overall sales in the long run. Because then your work is really only worth the lower price.
    George Losse
    www.georgelosse.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    No, I only sell them. The only photos I have hanging in my home are my own.

But my market is not other photographers (such as the people frequenting APUG) - they are the people in the general public.

I sell, on average, 3 prints every 2 days. I never sell them for less than AUD$70, they usually are $120 to $400 plus frame. Some are $500, and I've sold one for US$750 (all plus frame).

If your prints aren't selling, don't blame the public. Either your marketing is not good enough or your product isn't. People will pay what they think your product is worth - either make them think your print is worth more, or make a better product.

(Sorry if that hurts, but it's a cruel world ....)
    Graeme Hird
    www.scenebyhird.com

Failure is NOT an option! It comes bundled with your software ....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I buy and trade prints with other photographers. I'm also represented by a London gallery and have sold a few prints in the last couple of months but it is very difficult to sell prints. I'm also involved in the running of the London gallery and we find that we have good attendances at the openings but getting people to part with money is not easy.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin