Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,271   Posts: 1,534,510   Online: 1062

Shooter
    35mm

Ambrotype Dating and value questons

Hey Guys,

This is my first post. I work for a non-profit organization that funds an addiction therapy program. We accept donations as a means of funding and someone donated an ellaborately designed ambrotype. The photo is about 2" by 2.5" (a 1/9th plate I believe). Im trying to get a little more information on the dating and origin of the piece for description. I know there are countless variables to be assesed in these types of photos and you guys seem pretty knowledgeable! Thank you for any help!
    -Lawton

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN9536.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	454.9 KB 
ID:	47418

Name:	DSCN9540.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	381.9 KB 
ID:	47419Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN9542.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	312.0 KB 
ID:	47420

Name:	DSCN9543.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	421.1 KB 
ID:	47421

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Nice image. It's in overall good condition, with a complete case and intact spine. The clasp looks to be a (relatively modern) replacement. The 1/9th plate size is common, and the facts that neither the subject nor the photographer are identified tend to suppress the value. The image itself is competently executed but not striking. I'd give it a range of $20-$50 depending on where you sell it and who happens to come along and bid on it, but most likely in the lower end of that range. If you go looking on eBay you'll see all kinds of prices out there on such things, but do a search on completed auctions to get a better idea of value. There's a lot of cased images listed there with enthusiastically inflated prices that keep showing up unsold, week after week.

Shooter
    35mm

Thanks

Much thanks for the input, very helpful!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin