Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,391   Online: 667

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Personal Collection Guidelines...

I'm curious as to whether others have "guidelines" as to what goes into your collection?

Do you buy one camera a month? Year? Or when you come across them?

Do you only buy cameras you can restore? Or do you buy things only in mint condition?

Or do you require that it be useable?

Do you keep multiples, or multiple models of a certain camera?

How do you balance the financial end of things? Never pay more than "x" amount, or "x" amount per month? Do you build a budget for collecting?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't buy anything I can't use, and only if I don't already have an equivalent. I've never understood why anyone would have 8 SLR systems...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think there are "bottom feeder" and "top feeder" collectors.
    I'm a bottom feeder. I look for good models in fair but repairable condition. Sometimes in poor condition just for parts. I fix 'em and use 'em. I have as many as a dozen of certain favorite models (mostly vintage TLRs). I avoid overspending. If I see something good at a low to moderate price I might try to pick it up.

Many, perhaps most, collectors are the opposite, looking for items in excellent condition for display. They will pay high prices. They often don't use 'em at all; especially if they are in mint condition. They might fondle it occasionally.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't collect anything except perhaps books, I don't want any ornaments, if I don't use equipment regularly I don't keep it.
    Ben

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I was getting to be a bit of a gear whore - if it was a good deal, I'd buy it, and find a use for it later. Lately though, I've been trimming down and realizing that I had way too much stuff that I wasn't using. Some of that was because it was bought as a project, and then the project got put on hold for one reason or another. I'm now just collecting books and antique images - it's amazing how many Cartes-de-Visite you can fit in a 3" binder!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    I don't buy anything I can't use, and only if I don't already have an equivalent. I've never understood why anyone would have 8 SLR systems...
    me too

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    99% of the time I only buy what I plan to use, however recently on the bay appeared a very low cost broken camera that I purchased as a parts camera for my operating camera, should she need some parts. I guess that parts camera is really a "collector camera" for now but one day it will be Frankenstein'd (we are only talking a few bucks too).
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I only buy what is useable or can be repaired. I take some chances sometimes on low priced items and hope they are those two conditions. I'm not a stickler for perfect quality, and use what I have be it scratched or dented, as long as I can get good images out of it. Whatever I can fix I try too.

Cameras that I don't use, or cameras that are unrepairable are let out to my students to use. Some borrow them for the entire seasonal schedule and do get beat up or lost. The broken cameras are used for showing the internal mechanics and functions of the camera and get passed around for students to explore and prod to help them understand things such as the path of light, shutters and speeds, focusing screens, lens apertures, film take up etc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I buy cameras that work, and that I want to hold (I love older workmanship, quality and craftsmanship), and/or that have lenses I want to try.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    I only buy cameras if I can justify a need for having them, that why I only have 3. Lenses I also purchase for a certain need, generally a wide, normal, telephoto, and macro.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin