Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,707   Posts: 1,482,868   Online: 969

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    I'd be interested in seeing how a recreated Hillotype looks. Could you post a scan of one image?

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    do a quick google image search for 'Boudreau Hillotype' and it's the first result that pops up. The online image is pretty decent, but in reality the colors are a bit more evident, especially the blue on the vase and the orange of the petals. (the online image is NOT of the Hillotype I possess, but it's from the same set, ie vase & flowers)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    As a thought for who to approach about it, do you know if the George Eastman House has any of your father's work? They're certainly the pre-eminent photography museum here in the US. If not them, perhaps the Getty out in Los Angeles. Also, out of curiosity, when you say "The Smithsonian", which museum in particular are you speaking of? The Smithsonian is a very large institution with many museums. There is the National Gallery of Art (which is actually NOT part of the Smithsonian), the Museum of American Art/National Portrait Gallery (probably the best museum in DC for exhibiting photography at this time), the Hirshorn Museum (modern art, with a fair photography collection) and the Renwick (American arts and crafts - dunno about their photography collection if any, but they might be worth a shot). Non-Smithsonian collections here in Washington DC worth approaching would include the Corcoran Gallery of Art and the Phillips Collection. In New York, the obvious choices would be the Metropolitan Museum of Art, MOMA, and ICP. Also think about universities - RISD (Rhode Island School of Design), Maryland Institute College of Art, etc.

Given that your father's Hillotype is not in fact an "original" Hillotype but a reconstruction of the process, perhaps a science museum would be a better choice to approach. They might have greater interest in it as a material object, and would be willing to pay (perhaps even pay more) for something that an art museum might pass on.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    As a thought for who to approach about it, do you know if the George Eastman House has any of your father's work? They're certainly the pre-eminent photography museum here in the US. If not them, perhaps the Getty out in Los Angeles. Also, out of curiosity, when you say "The Smithsonian", which museum in particular are you speaking of? The Smithsonian is a very large institution with many museums. There is the National Gallery of Art (which is actually NOT part of the Smithsonian), the Museum of American Art/National Portrait Gallery (probably the best museum in DC for exhibiting photography at this time), the Hirshorn Museum (modern art, with a fair photography collection) and the Renwick (American arts and crafts - dunno about their photography collection if any, but they might be worth a shot). Non-Smithsonian collections here in Washington DC worth approaching would include the Corcoran Gallery of Art and the Phillips Collection. In New York, the obvious choices would be the Metropolitan Museum of Art, MOMA, and ICP. Also think about universities - RISD (Rhode Island School of Design), Maryland Institute College of Art, etc.

Given that your father's Hillotype is not in fact an "original" Hillotype but a reconstruction of the process, perhaps a science museum would be a better choice to approach. They might have greater interest in it as a material object, and would be willing to pay (perhaps even pay more) for something that an art museum might pass on.
    Interesting thoughts. I know he was involved with the George Eastman House, and that they have worked with the Smithsonian (Museum of American History, as a matter of fact, is where Hill's and my father's work are currently) to examine the hillotypes, and Getty has as well. So those are possibilities. The Corcoran originally exhibited 2 of my father's works (on loan) about 20 years ago, so that's another option I was already thinking of. RISD resonates as well, as that's where my father got his MFA. And I've just noticed they host a substantial art museum as well...hmmm.
    Last edited by doctorno; 06-10-2012 at 12:07 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin