Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,568   Posts: 1,573,488   Online: 828

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "I came on a house where the man (now passed on) had N+X, where X is the number he could hide."
    I love that line!!
    I am sure I am at the N-1 stage and as you know Whitey, the Mrs has been quite kind and patient with me. But I may have reached my limit with this:
    Raji 5x7
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Raji 5x7 .II.jpg  
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some people who experienced the great depression became hoarders of not only canned food, but all sorts of "stuff". They never wanted to be without again. My father in law comes to mind. He was in the same house for 60+ years... Took his kids several months to clear his/her "stuff" out when he passed on. But this guy had just about any tool you'd ever need, plus materials of every sort. He could as he'd say "fabricate just about anything". It was always very interesting to see what he had tucked away, often several of the same thing. He knew quality when he saw it and was a craftsman. I acquired a few of his cameras and tools. I always think of him when I have to try to "fabricate" something.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Woah. And I'm just the opposite, I can't hold onto anything long enough..Hell I could move out of my place in one truckload!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by papagene View Post
    "I came on a house where the man (now passed on) had N+X, where X is the number he could hide."
    I love that line!!
    I am sure I am at the N-1 stage and as you know Whitey, the Mrs has been quite kind and patient with me. But I may have reached my limit with this:
    Raji 5x7
    Yes Gene, but if your're going to use that beauty and can afford it...why not. I will say about the individual described with n+x cameras I have to agree he did have a psycological issue.....hiding cameras and parts in every nook and cranny is not normal

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "Hey Bob what are we having at your bbq?" "Cameras!" Best bbq ever.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think I'm a sort of modern nomad, I hate having too much stuff as it only feels like a dead weight tying me down. I feel stressed by nicknacks that serve no purpose and I try to keep only what I use or love deeply. I like to pick up and just leave for extended periods of time every now and then and have learned that less stuff usually equals more freedom. I've had some pretty awesome adventures thanks to this habit, and in the end I think these memories are more valuable than any amount of stuff or money could ever be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was a Caseworker for a guy who has such severe OCD, he ended up being sent to a psychiatric ward and then referred to the homeless shelter where I worked until his house could get cleaned up. He had garbage filling every room, kitty litter filled in the tub to defecate 'cause toilet was plugged and he had grass growing through a BMW he had in his yard. To told me he had "gold, silver, diamonds and money" in the house and he needed to get to it. I had to explain that is was boarded up, but would keep him updated on when the cleanup was finished. When they called me, they told me he had over $200,000 worth of gold, silver, diamonds and money stashed all over the house, which they found after weeks of moving out all the garbage he never took out of the house and piled in bags to the ceiling. I couldn't believe it. They used the money to fix up the house and sell it for almost $1,000,000.

This guy with the cameras....mental health...probably....skill...definately. I don't know how one can hide 4 auctions worth of cameras, but he must have been crafty.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Evidently a lover of wines as well...

The only thing that stops me from hoarding cameras obsessively is than I can't stand dirty cameras – they all get exercised and cleaned regularly. Oh, and fear of the dry cabinet collapsing.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have too many cameras, something like 20 bodies and some 40 lenses, most of them reflex made by Nikon, Pentax and Canon, except for one rangefinder (Yashica electro 35 GSN + accessories tele and wide) and one point & shoot (Nikon L35AF).

I like using everyone, although I feel I have too many. But I have no will to trim them down..
    If I had to start over, though, I would stick with one brandmark.

This story, in my opinion, is rather sad. It looks like obvious the man did not use all his equipment and I doubted he took the trouble to develop and print his films.
    So what's the use of it all???

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know, Gene, I think maybe you could get a few more before your better half starts to move your stuff to the curb. My own strategy has been to have all of my gear in the "studio," a repurposed garage separate from the house. What is not in the house is not a problem for Lena, and when I trip over something inside, it's more likely to be her stuff, not mine!

I don't want to leave the impression that this "collector" lived in squalor. His home, in one of the wealthiest suburbs of Boston, is quite lovely; clean, up to date and not really cluttered at all. It's just that it is a large home, with no kids. There are many, many hiding places in a home like this, and he took advantage of each and every one of them. I also believe he liked to keep his gear in good shape. It may have simply gotten away from him in the last few years of his life. I don't know much about him.

PHSNE auctions, for those who are serious in wanting to know, are at various times. There is a members auction in February, and will likely be auctions following each of the next three or four Photographica shows, which happen in the spring and the fall. The next show is in Wakefield, MA, on September 22-23. Look at the PHSNE website for information. As I have said more than once, PHSNE is a great organization, well worth a look. Monthly meetings, open to the public, are opportunities to hear from knowledgeable collectors, dealers and historians about images, methods and gear. They put out a monthly newsletter and The Journal, a yearly publication that is sent to and collected by libraries as well as members. The shows each spring and fall are what attracted me, but the people are what keep me interested. Saturday's adventure of discovery, as box after box of camera gear was unloaded on the table, was a great time–– and working with the other guys who sorted the stuff made me realize how little I know in comparison.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin