Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,202   Posts: 1,531,584   Online: 1125

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

GAS, and it's ultimate effect

Jim McD told me once that he thinks the proper number of cameras to own is N-1, where N is the number that will make your wife throw you out. Today, in helping PHSNE deal with a large donation, I came on a house where the man (now passed on) had N+X, where X is the number he could hide. Let me tell you it wasn't as pretty a sight as I might have thought. His widow even found cameras hidden in the charcoal grill in the garage. We had six people there for four hours just bringing boxes up from the basement, and that was after a truck filled with "the good stuff" had gone to the PHSNE warehouse, another load had gone to Skinner Auctions and two guys had worked for days sorting and boxing orphans hidden in every available nook and cranny of the house. In the end, even the good stuff, and a lot of it is very good, will take fours or so auctions to clear out. Some of these cameras are in brand new condition, some are good users, some have been wrapped in newspaper and then stored in a wet basement. 8>( Many of the folders were stored with the bellows exposed (open). Lenses were often stored in empty wine cases, 12 to a box. Sometimes he seems to have taken cameras apart and stored the parts in different places.

I tried to find a pattern in his collections, but the only thing that strings each of these cameras, lenses, assorted what's-its and cases seems to be that he could buy it. There are German cameras, Japanese cameras, American cameras and Russian cameras; rangefinders, TLR's, SLR's, P&S, folders and plate cameras; darkroom equipment for at least three darkrooms (and no darkroom) and boxes and boxes of tools, parts and accessories. He had covering material, aging chemicals, re-coating paints and chemicals, polishes and adhesives. As far as I know, he never worked on other people's cameras and was not a dealer.

I am a packrat. I know what it is to need to keep stuff–– because it's cools stuff or because you think you may need it someday. Today I may have seen the end of that particular road. Will I learn?

The jury is out.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Heartwarming story!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Indeed. I hadn't thought about the charcoal grill in the garage...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Scary story. But then again, I just get stressed seeing stuff that has no use, sitting on the shelf - and I thin my (admittedly small) herd at irregular intervals.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Interesting story. So when is the sale/auction again?

My wife uses the charcoal grill... Wish I had a basement...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    At some point obsessively collecting and hoarding anything to that degree becomes a form of mental illness.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Screw the mental illness side of this. When/where is the auction? Must have more good stuff!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I am glad I have converted from the long road of GAS. I once had dreams of rooms full of photographia. And now I can only imagine the coffee I could not have been drinking these last three years since I trimmed the fat and kept it that way. Speaking of fat, maybe I should buy some more cameras and less TastyKakes.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, if I have to go mental, cameras are not so bad... ;-)

Though, I agree that there is not much point in having so much of anything you cannot enjoy it.

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?cjoa1j

Shooter
    35mm
    He strikes me as a BRAVE man

HowardDvorin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin