Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,001   Posts: 1,524,387   Online: 930

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller
    I have two Durst enlargers. One is a model 138 and the other a 138 S. Both have the condensors for 5X7 format as they are now equipped. Both have the three lens turrets. Message me if you are interested in either of these.
    If you were closer I would. I've been keeping my eyes open for a local one. I'm putting the money I hope to save on shipping towards the Shen Hao that I'm ordering from J&C next month.
    Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photomc
    Hey Thanks for the kind words guys...May not show, but I am a little pumped about the camera.
    I know what you mean, Mike. Today I was able to get out and shoot 6 sheets of film, they are all of the same scene for film testing, but it was a thrill to actually get out a shoot with it!
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    A very pretty old camera and you will find it very useable. I had my Kodak Improved #2 along with me last Saturday while I was Christmas tree hunting. Printed a couple of the negs just today. Fun to make the old stuff work for you.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

The 5x7 Is Hear!!

Well, the camera arrived today and it is a beautiful thing. General comments for anyone with a suggestion.

1. Bellows seem light tight (will test later tonight) but can tell they are starting to get brittle. Found the screws on the back , should there be some on the front as well - thinkging down the road when the bellows will be replaced. Are most new bellows leather or some other material?

2. Need to pick up/ebay at least a couple of film holders - any thoughts on if they should be more recent types or wood?

3. Will need to take you up on the offer to make a new lens board Lee..one came with it but it is home made one and will not fit the Copal 0 on the 150mm.

4. Need to pick up a dedicated lens for the camera at a later date (read when funds are available) - thoughts on a reasonable priced lens, say around $300 - is that possilbe maybe a 210mm or so.

5. Will be replacing the GG with one from Satin Snow, I think - that will be after the first of the year, but one of the first things I do to the camera.

6. The leather handle is gone, anyone have any ideas of a good sub. or know of anyone that makes replacements.

The camera is very light, and seems pretty tight considering it's age - inside the back are patent dates of 1902 and 1908. All in all I am very please, the cmaera has front rise, remove the back to rotate and rear tilt and shift so not all the movements, but more than the Crown Graphic (which I still plan to use). Oh yeah, and a fresh box of Efke PL100 that JandC got here before the camera...Thanks for the fast shipment.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Need to pick up a dedicated lens for the camera at a later date (read when funds are available) - thoughts on a reasonable priced lens, say around $300 - is that possilbe maybe a 210mm or so.

The leather handle is gone, anyone have any ideas of a good sub. or know of anyone that makes replacements.
    $300 is easily doable, I bought a Fujinon W 180mm f/5.6 with 305mm of coverage for $265 on keh.com. The modern 210 is very common and you should be able to pick one up for less than $300--but my heart says you should get an old 8 1/2 dagor to use on that classic camera

If you need a replacement leather handle go to the local pet shop and pick up a leather dog collar--they should have some for very cheap.

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Need to pick up/ebay at least a couple of film holders - any thoughts on if they should be more recent types or wood?
    Missed this one somehow, if you're adventurous or are offered a money back guarantee for light tightness, I picked up 8 film holders on ebay (2 wood) for $80 total shipped. If you are not one to gamble, though, I know someone who is selling 4 Like New 5x7 film holders for $20/each (I believe they are around $35 new)

blog
    website

Images
    The holders on EBAY are so freaking cheap that you can mix and match parts. Keep your eye out for a big lot of wood ones. I bought 15 for 40 bucks and out of those I have 10 perfectly light tight and parts if needed. It's great. I used out of date 5x7 paper and sunlight to check them. That is all you need. I think the old wood ones look better with my old wooden 2d. Modern holders are not really expensive either so the options are wide open.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hi mike -

sounds like you found a beauty !
    i love my 5x7, and one of the things i love about it
    is that most of the lenses i use with my 4x5 will cover 5x7

you might consider checking if you can get an adapter-board so you
    can interchange lenses & cameras <g> ... my szabad 5x7 takes square 3" <?> boards like a graphic view 2, so i have everything mounted on speed graphic boards (read: small!) and adapters 'tween the szabad & toyo view camera & the speed ...

that all said - if i used only one lens on my 5x7 it would be my symmar 210/370 convertable. both elements it is pretty sharp, remove the front element and it is a bit softer (schneider suggests using the single element with any of their symmar conv. lenses would be good for portraits.)

if you don't already know it, there is a TON of information on the schneider website. there is a table to determine the age of you lens using the serial number here: http://www.schneideroptics.com/info/age_of_lenses/
    hyperfocal distance information here: http://www.schneideroptics.com/info/..._field_tables/ and info on the convertable lenses here: http://www.schneideroptics.com/info/...at_lenses/#q14 .
    you might already know this, but with the schneider lenses, if it says "linhof technica " those were the best ones. they say linhof had "first dibbs" on the lenses and put their name on them

good luck with your new camera
    -john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the input guys..good stuff

Jeremy - have a couple of old wood 5x7 holders, though one is not usable, had considered that, wanted to hear what others had found. Thanks for the suggestions on the lens at mpex.

Mark - 15 for $40!! Man now that's a good deal, with 10 working holders..that would hold me for a while.

John - thanks for the idea about the adapter, the Kodak D1 uses a 4 1/4 board, and the Crown of course is 3 but maybe with little work I could make something - like that idea a lot. Schneider lens..would love a good lens like one of those. Not sure what the classic models are..need to do a search, the check the specs to see what coverage they have.

Anyway..thanks all for the good wishes and advice. Now to get this puppy rigged to go and burn some film.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well found a lens on feebay last night. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWN:IT

A 190mm (71/2") WOLLENSAK f4.5 Raptar $86..from description sounds like it needs a CLA, but looks good. Any thoughts on this lens..did I end up with a dude or should it be a good 5x7 lens?

Thanks,
    Mike C

Rambles

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin