Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,012   Posts: 1,524,698   Online: 816

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Looks good to me! I don't know much about Raptars, but I believe it's a very good lens.

Have fun!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

5x7

Photomc-that camera is almost identical to my first 5x7. Found it many moons ago and took some pretty good photos with it.Even though it doesn't have extensive movements you'll get much use out of it. Still have it as backup to my Dorf. Have a great time and good luck with the project!
    Regards Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by photomc
    A 190mm (71/2") WOLLENSAK f4.5 Raptar $86..from description sounds like it needs a CLA, but looks good. Any thoughts on this lens..did I end up with a dude [sic] or should it be a good 5x7 lens?
    According to Kingslake in A History of the Photographic Lens, the Raptar is one of many lenses which are of the same type construction as the Zeiss Tessar. That family includes many other lenses with familiar names such as Ektar and Xenar. It should be noted that not all lenses carrying the Raptar name are of this design, but the f/4.5 design most likely is.

More information on the Wollensak (and other) lenses can be found at http://www.cameraeccentric.com/ . The 1957 Wollensak catalog shows that the 190mm Raptar (it actually lists the Series II) covers 5x7. You won't have much room for movement, but it should be a good sharp lens. The catalog page also shows that the Alphax #3 shutter was a factory option and that appears to be what you have. For the price you paid, it looks like you did well and with money left over for a CLA.
    My Verito page

Anyone can appreciate a fine print. But it takes a real photographer to appreciate a fine negative.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, All, for the input ... looking forward to getting the lens in and giving it some film time.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Have used a 190 Raptar on 5X7 and it is a VERY nice combination indeed. It covers with room for a little movement. It never ceases to amaze me what can be accomplished in LF for very little $$!
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photomc
    Don't recall if I have mentioned it here or not, but the camera fits into a project I am hoping to get done - which was take a 100 +/- yo camera and locate some 100 +/- yo churches and produce a series of 5x7 contact prints (maybe silver - AZO and Palladium - Ziatypes?) with a print from the outside and inside of each. Have located a few buildings already and with any luck can get interviews with members or ex-members that will recall what the area used to be like.
    Pity you're in Texas. I just was given a 5x7" enlarger. But if you come around this <i>olde continent</i> which is Europe, you'll have little trouble getting the 100yo churches (actually you might, that's a tad too recent actually), and I'll offer the enlarger if you let me try your camera?!
    Congrats anyway.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NikoSperi
    ... But if you come around this <i>olde continent</i> which is Europe, you'll have little trouble getting the 100yo churches (actually you might, that's a tad too recent actually), and I'll offer the enlarger if you let me try your camera?!
    Same offer here - any age church form 100 to 1000. The old (12th century) wooden churches are the most interesting ones, IMO.

We could compare 5x7" cameras
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Niko and Ole...Thanks, yes it would be much easier to find the churchs in your areas of the world, but alas..here in the states (and even more so here in Texas) the 100 yo wooden churches will have to do. There are a few older mission churches (late 1700's) and interesting to note..many of the older churches are in small communities like New Sweden, Norse, etc..they were built by the migrants from many parts of Europe..such is the melting pot that is the U.S.
    Mike C

Rambles

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin