Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,968   Online: 1065

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Dating old Kodachrome 35mm cassette

Can any one help me date this film?
    I picked up an Argus A2 at a flea market the other day. Inside was a roll of Kodachrome that had
    only a few exposures made on it. The cassette is solid yellow with small black writing on it.
    There is no Kodak logo or speed rating such as Weston, ASA or DIN or expiration date.
    There is only the 18 exposure specification and the Patent number.
    Here are a few shots of it.

Thanks,
    Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails kodak.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    Now that IS old! That type of cassette was in use in the early 6o's (Prior to 1961) when I started with photography. I think the later crimped type in general use today gradually came into use around 1970 or so.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    With all due respect to BMbikerider, I must disagree with his dating estimate.
    Kodachrome rolls of 18 exposures were introduced at the very beginning of the 35mm Kodachrome lifecycle, around 1936-1937.
    You have in your hands, Rich, a glorious piece of photographic history.
    Here is what the outside box looked like.
    I hope someday that you will find an original box and complete the package.
    Best of luck.
    Karl
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails kodachrome5.jpg  

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl K View Post
    Kodachrome rolls of 18 exposures were introduced at the very beginning of the 35mm Kodachrome lifecycle, around 1936-1937.
    Best of luck.
    Karl
    I've got several Kodachrome packs dating back to 1937 but they're still sealed boxes and so I suppose I'll never get to see what's inside!

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I only date good looking women.
    Last edited by Rick A; 09-19-2012 at 08:01 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: 60 yo and still can't splel
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I started shooting Kodachrome in 1958 and I don't recall ever seeing any cartridges like that. Looks like a nifty bit of history there!

Shooter
    35mm
    Best of luck.
    Karl
    Sorry I didn't make myself clear. I started around 1961 with photography so cannot say what took place before that with film cassettes. I remeber those well because they were re-usable for bulk film and not 'throw away' like they are today. I actually had to BUY re-usable cassettes when they stopped using this design and went over to the crimped type.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Roberts View Post
    I've got several Kodachrome packs dating back to 1937 but they're still sealed boxes and so I suppose I'll never get to see what's inside!

Steve
    Steve, if you ever think about parting with just one of them, kindly contact me via PM.
    Thanks,
    Karl

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Steve, if you ever think about parting with just one of them, kindly contact me via PM.
    Thanks,
    Karl
    Unlikely, Karl, as they're different dates and variations of box design. I bought them some years ago for pennies when they were just very old, outdated films. I have about 50 different old and not-so-old 35mm films in their boxes that form a colourful and (to me) interesting display that reminds me of days gone by when you could walk into any photo shop and be spoiled for choice!
    Steve

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Roberts View Post
    Unlikely, Karl, as they're different dates and variations of box design. I bought them some years ago for pennies when they were just very old, outdated films. I have about 50 different old and not-so-old 35mm films in their boxes that form a colourful and (to me) interesting display that reminds me of days gone by when you could walk into any photo shop and be spoiled for choice!
    Steve
    Understood...OK, second choice, how about posting some photos of your boxed-film display?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin