Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,896   Posts: 1,584,311   Online: 899

Shooter
    35mm

Sometimes collecting cameras pays back

A special version of a 1955 Leica M3 was sold at an auction in Vienna for €1,680,000.00.

It belongs to a limited series developed after a single camera customized for "Life" photographer Davis Douglas Duncan. Actually it is not clear if this single piece IS the special version or belongs to the very limited series that was produced after it.

http://www.repubblica.it/tecnologia/.../?ref=HRESS-12
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's one very rare camera, at least two very rare bidders, and one very rare and extremely lucky former owner.

My late friend Charlie Barringer's widow told me that Westlicht bought his collection from the estate. All of it. She suspects that they paid pennies on the dollar, could be right. On the other hand, before Charlie died Peter Koeln told him politely but firmly that many of his treasures no longer had much value. Fashions change, the people who collect Contaxes and things that attach to Contaxes are dying off, ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All the 20-40 at one time cameras that I casually collect, restore, use and display do is provide a nice diversion to take my mind off of my day job.

If they are worth money some day, great. But so far my goal is to keep than from being too big of a cash sink hole all at once, and spread the ficsall pain out.

I wandered into the cubicle of a co-worker one floor up today, who is hobby muscian.

He has a pair of flow charts from a site called Guitar Squid stuck on his wall that had me in stitches.

One was titled 'you should quit your band when'. The other was titled 'you have too many guitars when'. I am trying to think how to adapt the flavour of the guitar one to camere collecting.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I hate this fetishism, treating object like religious relics because some celebrity has owned the object, what annoys me most is the distorted sense of values that Western sociality has.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I hate this fetishism, treating object like religious relics because some celebrity has owned the object, what annoys me most is the distorted sense of values that Western sociality has.
    Western sociality?? Then why were Japanese buy up all the Leicas for the last few decades?
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Western sociality?? Then why were Japanese buy up all the Leicas for the last few decades?
    Japan is west from Hawaii

It takes some spiritual awareness, some folks accept that objects are part of the spiritual / energy cycle.
    For more info, ask the current Leica Camera AG owner, Dr. Andreas Kaufmann who is Rudolf Steiner fan.

btw: Ian posted about the camera days ago http://www.apug.org/forums/forum52/1...ion-leica.html
    so its a duplicate thread

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Because Japan and other Asian country s since WW11 have embraced Western capitalism and materialism.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 11-29-2012 at 03:17 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Because Japan and other Asian country s since WW11 have embraced Western capitalism and materialism.
    It's better than the pre-war nationalism and imperialism they embraced before the war.

By the way, I have a Kodak Fiesta that was signed by George Washington, surely that must be worth a few million?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ROTFLMAO
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin