Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,542   Posts: 1,544,402   Online: 1024

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    There are maybe one or two multi-format folders that can occasionally be found in that price range, but you'll have many more options if you give up that feature and maybe just get a second folder in a smaller format, if you really need more than one format and can't just crop from 6x9 as needed.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you can push your budget a bit, look at certo6.com, more expensive than typical eBay, but I bought an Ikonta from him and it works great.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good day Storyteller! I am Moonstripe! I pray yee shall find the device of which thou desirest.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Storyteller View Post
    good sir, I apologize if this seems harsh, but you are highly disconnected from reality. Id advise youdo some research on the going rate for cameras these days.
    Great Scott!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's perfectly possible to get a working 120 folder for 40 +-USD, they are not difficult to find.
    But, it may require some looking, there are a great many I see offerred for that kind of money that are usable only for decoration.

Generally, these will be viewfinder and not rangefinder cameras, and most in that price realm will not do multiple formats, or if they do, they are likely missing the masks that enable that.
    Most will have settable apertures and many will have more than 1 shutter speed (not including B or T). Virtually all will have tripod mounts.
    The quality of the lenses willl vary usually with the price.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chriscrawfordphoto View Post
    Sorry, but you cannot get a good 6x9 camera for $40. Good meaning it WORKS, the bellows doesn't leak, its shutter isn't gummed up, the rangefinder is ACCURATE. You do want to take pictures, right? Of course, on Ebay, everything is Minty, right?
    I beg to differ.

I can and have bought good fully functional 6x9 cameras for around the $40 mark and for considerably less as well, but they don't show up on ebay very often these days. There's a seller at the camera fair I go to who has boxes of cameras for £2-£5 each and I've had several excellent bargains from him.

The OP never mentioned wanting a rangefinder camera that does up the price, and speaking from experience it's remarkably easy to estimate the distances and set the focussing manually on these old folders.

I'd forget ebay for something like this, best place to buy is car boot sales, flea markets, camera fairs, garage sales (rare in the UK), and some charity shops - but many sell their cameras etc on Ebay as they can get higher bprices. Sometimes you can find them in antique shops at bargain prices as well.

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    You should be able to find a pre-war (uncoated lens, no rangefinder) camera like that. I have a mint condition Bessa 6x9 I bought for about $100 that works great. There are plenty of choices from the 1930s.

Kent in SD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    holga ?

===
    be aware, some folks have not had such glowing experiences with
    certo6, mine was far-far from wonderful.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You won't find one for US$40 but maybe less than US$100... Baby Graphic.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Yashinoff View Post
    Cancel out the alternative format nonsense, and a Foldex 6.3 (sometimes refered to as a Foldex 30) fits the bill.
    I have one of these and I love it. Really fun, light, compact, and capable of making good photos. Mine has a minor intermittent light leak problem that I'm struggling with, I think light is getting in through the green window and bouncing around behind the pressure plate.... I expect to figure out how to fix it eventually. The bellows are fine.

Oddly enough, I started reading this thread because I'd also like a camera just like OP, and would love to hear other's experience with the different choices. I really like the 6x9 format and don't care about inserts for smaller frames. The foldex 30 has a tripod mount in portrait orientation but not on the bottom for landscape. For slower film, a tripod mount would be a really really good thing to have. I'm looking to add one to mine. The camera was very much made for handheld operation and has a neat feature that lets you trigger the shutter without having to reach out to the lens. I guess that's why they left the tripod mount off the bottom...although I find that hard to understand since so many other details seem well thought out.

Mine was about $20 on the goodwill auction site and it is in very nice condition. At the moment it's my favorite camera for just carrying around. I hope some more people will chime in with experience with different 6x9 folders... for example I think there are some Agfa models where the scale focus winding gets stuck... these are the sorts of things that newcomers like myself need to know to watch out for!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin