Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,777   Online: 924

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Storyteller,

I wish you luck in your search... I know it's possible, but perhaps not on-demand...

I bought the worst beat-up-looking Ikonta 6x9 on ebay. I don't recall the price but it was near 100 dollars. Nobody else would touch it. I had the seller drop-ship it to a technician for CLA. When I got the camera, word from the tech was "never again". He fixed it alright. It's a great sleeper. Lately had to patch couple pinholes in bellows but otherwise a great but ugly performer. It has two tripod sockets as you requested. There is a mask that lets you shoot 6x6. I don't have it and I say phooey to that. 6x9 is the perfect roll-film format to my mind. All that great film, in a convenient roll format that fits a standard steel reel to process scratch-free. Half the real-estate of 4x5, comes close to delivering the image quality.

I also got, at a consignment shop nearby, a Bessa II 6x9. Also ugly outside. But insides practically new. This one only needed toothpicks and Q-Tips to restore. Price? 35 dollars.

I'd say either is worth 250 dollars, so if you can budget that much you will have your camera sooner.

LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by chriscrawfordphoto View Post
    Sorry, but you cannot get a good 6x9 camera for $40. Good meaning it WORKS, the bellows doesn't leak, its shutter isn't gummed up, the rangefinder is ACCURATE. You do want to take pictures, right? Of course, on Ebay, everything is Minty, right?
    Wow; your arrogance is impressive.

Seems that, yet again, your opinion has got in the way of fact. As I previously wrote, I have a mint (no idea what you mean by "minty", as I don't rate cameras by their flavour) 6x9 that cost me $40.

Just because you choose not to believe something does not make it true.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by LJH View Post
    Wow; your arrogance is impressive.

Seems that, yet again, your opinion has got in the way of fact. As I previously wrote, I have a mint (no idea what you mean by "minty", as I don't rate cameras by their flavour) 6x9 that cost me $40.

Just because you choose not to believe something does not make it true.

hi LJH

i kind of believe what chris suggested.
    most of the time you get what you pay for ..
    and it is not often you get a camera in
    very good condition for 40$. usually
    what is sold for that small amount of $$
    requires a CLA amongst other things.
    especially on ebay, when people are not
    really honest about condition &c.
    i have bought a camera for less than 100$
    that were described as users.
    even after repeated info requests / email
    the sellers suggested the cameras were
    working at all speeds, in great condition &c
    and in the end, when the camera/s arrived
    they were nothing like the seller described.
    shutter speeds didn't even fire on all speeds
    and with one of these cameras, the shutter
    was so seized that a repair guy who is used to
    repairing folders and dial shutters, couldn't even
    access the works to fix the shutter ...
    luckily,the seller had a return policy, and while
    i received $$ back, shipping was a PITA
    and i was harassed by the seller ...
    so in the end ... i guess i got a little more than what i paid for

as with everything, YMMV

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Cameras are a funny thing. You can spend a lot or spend a little, it all kind of depends on the kind of results you're looking for on a consistent basis. I've purchased a fully functioning Kiev III (Contax IIIa clone from the former Soviet Union) from a seller in Latvia on ebay for about $60 and a folding Nettar 6x6 and folding Zenobia 6x4.5 for about $40. They all work and are fun to use. I've also bought other 120 cameras for far more. The only point I'm making is that you get what you pay for. The RB I purchased for $350 is far sharper than that Zenobia and far more versatile but that little folder can fit in my pocket and capture that image in a way that the RB (or for that matter Hassy, Leica, Nikon, etc.) can't. Hope you find what you're looking for and keep taking photographs.

LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Jnanian,

You agree with him as you haven't bought one yourself? Hardly compelling logic, especially as others here have documented their experience in doing exactly what Christopher has (in 2 separate posts) said is not possible.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Jnanian,

You agree with him as you haven't bought one yourself? Hardly compelling logic, especially as others here have documented their experience in doing exactly what Christopher has (in 2 separate posts) said is not possible.
    Having a few people say they did something doesn't mean it is going to be even remotely possible for anyone else. My grandpa bought a lottery ticket once that won him $1000. 99% of lottery ticket buyers will never win that much. To go around saying that one can realistically win $1000 buying lottery tickets is simply delusional and, i'll go so far as to say, unethical.

Realistically, the original poster is not going to find a usable medium format camera for $40. Sorry, kiddo, but life ain't fair. Get over it.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no

Will you re-sell?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Jnanian,

i have never bought a camera myself for 40$ ?
    i have bought quite a few for 40$ or less ....
    folders, faux rangefinders &c they were all a waste of money.

i never said it wasn't possible, i said it is possible, but more trouble than they are worth.

i would rather use a box camera for medium format.
    single shutter speed, sometimes B, sometimes a yellow filter, sometimes dual format.
    simple and maybe costs 10-20$ and if the shutter doesn't work it can be fixed in 10 mins.
    i have a rolleicord, but would rather use my agfa sureshot.
    Last edited by jnanian; 12-15-2012 at 06:05 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The old Bessa, with the Voigtar lens, usually goes for $25-35. It sometimes comes with the original 6x6 mask. You can also get lucky sometimes and find one with the Skopar lens within your budget.

The 6x9 Ikontas with the Novar lens may also be available in that price range.

You'd have better luck with a camera that uses 620 film, as long as you're willing to respool. A Kodak Monitor with Anastigmat Special, or the Kodak Tourist with the Anaston lens are commonly available for $40 or less. Don't get the Tourist with the top-of-the-line Anastar, because the Synchro 800 shutter it's paired with can be unreliable. Neither of these will have a mask.

It's kind of funny that someone would push (yes, that's the correct word) someone toward a $500 kit when they clearly want something simple, with one adequate lens and the ability to make aperture setting changes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    yeah I am looking at the old Bessas and the Ikonta 520/2 series. I also found the Frankas, which seem about right too. Ideally, I want a 4x5 camera with 6x9 rollfilm backs and some plates, but its $250-400 to get into that range. A horseman 985 maybe. Im also looking into a Busch Pressman D series, which has enough movements to keep me busy, but again, a couple hundred bucks.

So, right now, Im looking for a cheap 6x9, that has more power than my Agfa Clack, that I bought for under $10, and going for something just a step above it, to tide me over until I can get a better camera system. Im pretty sure it will be a Bessa or Ikonta or something very similar, the Bonafix looks ok, so does a Certix... I was just wondering if there was a recommendation on these.

I may skip the extra format and get two cameras, but it seemed like having two on one cam would give me more range, more ability to experiment in MF. My clack just has one shutter speed, Id like to get faster than 1/200, it only does 1/30. Only has two apertures and a yellow... so somethin I can make adjustments with and better take good photographs.

Thank you guys, it looks like Im on the right track.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin