Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,969   Posts: 1,523,453   Online: 954

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

just the right camera

Hello. I am Storyteller.
    I have begun doing photography again, film, mostly 35mm and some 120. I am trying to find out what camera I want to buy. I only know the specifics of what I am looking for.

It uses 120.
    It shoots in 6x9 format.
    It has a tripod mount, for landscape orientation. This would mean a bolt hole on the bottom.
    It has an alternative format or 6x6 or 645.
    It has a lens that can focus at least to some degree.
    It has some aperture settings for different lighting conditions.

I have looked into the Bessa, the Ikonta 52(x)/2 and a few others.

Any pointers in the right direction would be appreciated. I am trying to spend under $40 on ebay, which is very doable these days. I want to use the camera to take landscapes and cityscapes..

thank you,

Storyteller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Storyteller View Post
    I am trying to spend under $40 on ebay, which is very doable these days.
    I'm sorry to be nasty, but you're absolutely delusional. No one is going to sell you any medium format camera that cheap. You can get a Fuji 6x9 rangefinder for $500 or so, and it does all you want except the ability to change formats. If you're willing to settle on a 6x7, you can get a Mamiya RB67 for a few hundred, and it offers 6x7, 6x6, and 645 backs.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by chriscrawfordphoto View Post
    I'm sorry to be nasty, but you're absolutely delusional. No one is going to sell you any medium format camera that cheap.
    Actually, I think that you're delusional (and, for what it's worth, nasty, as you wrote).

I bought a mint Zeiss Ercona (6x9) with a 105mm f3.5 Tessar for $40 in the last 3 months.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm sorry to be nasty, but you're absolutely delusional. No one is going to sell you any medium format camera that cheap. You can get a Fuji 6x9 rangefinder for $500 or so, and it does all you want except the ability to change formats. If you're willing to settle on a 6x7, you can get a Mamiya RB67 for a few hundred, and it offers 6x7, 6x6, and 645 backs.
    good sir, I apologize if this seems harsh, but you are highly disconnected from reality. Id advise youdo some research on the going rate for cameras these days. I see about 8-10 cameras each day go for under $50, mostly old folding belows cams like i am speaking of. I am kicking my self for not snagging a Busch Pressman for $65. I have seen Ikontas, Bessa's and Agfa folders go for $10, regularly. My request, is not that hard. what model of 6x9 camera has a bottom placed landscape oriented tripod mounting socket? It is even better if it has more than one format by way of masks and I dont need to cut a hole in the back for red plastic. Lastly, is there one that will have aperture and timing available to get a range of shots, ideally with rail focus and not an automatic length from extension. I know most of these features exist. I am not sure if I can find them all in one camera. I certainly hope you explore further and educate yourself better.

Good Day,

Storyteller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's quite possible to find good 6x9 cameras for around the sellers $40. A few weeks ago i picked uo a good Ross Xpres lens in a shytter for £2 ($3.20) and las Sunday picked up a Ross Ensign 420 Selfix minus it's lens for £4 ($6.40). The two match and now I have a second 6x9 & 6x6 camera for a total of £6 ($9.60).

In the Spring I bought an excellent Ensign Selfix 820 for £30 ($48) this is a later version of the camera above, with a better shutter, both have windows & built in masks for 6x6 as well a 6x9, and the same coated 105mm Xpres lens.

I've also bought a Zeiss Nettar with a good coated Novar for £2 ($3.20) recently but this is 6x6 only. So cameras are around at bargain prices if you look. Welcome to APUG BTW.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sorry, but you cannot get a good 6x9 camera for $40. Good meaning it WORKS, the bellows doesn't leak, its shutter isn't gummed up, the rangefinder is ACCURATE. You do want to take pictures, right? Of course, on Ebay, everything is Minty, right?
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sorry, but you cannot get a good 6x9 camera for $40. Good meaning it WORKS, the bellows doesn't leak, its shutter isn't gummed up, the rangefinder is ACCURATE. You do want to take pictures, right? Of course, on Ebay, everything is Minty, right?
    Im sure you are right, but these are not the matters in question. The question is for a camera with specific features. you however seem content to harp on a price point. Im certain most will need some repair. Given the other six cameras I have bought from ebay work, with the exception of a focus ring on one of them, which is repairable without taking the camera apart, Ill take my chances. Now do you have something consrtuctive to say, or shall you continue to ridicule?

Shooter
    35mm
    Cancel out the alternative format nonsense, and a Foldex 6.3 (sometimes refered to as a Foldex 30) fits the bill.

Shooter
    35mm
    If 6x6 is OK, there is always the Lubitel Russian camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You might want to look for an East German Ercona I or II, 6X9 format with a very good lens. It also shoots 6X6 but the 6X6 insert usually has been lost.
    Last edited by Chrismat; 12-15-2012 at 11:30 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin