Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,989   Posts: 1,524,086   Online: 1100

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Help me date a photo, please

No, I don't need "pick up lines" but was wondering if folks could help me establish an approximate date these photos may have been taken. I don't have the originals, just scans, so can't give informatin about the photo itself except to say that they are in B&W. The only information I have is that the elderly lady died in late 1915 at 95 years old. Some suggest that the younger lady is her at an earlier age but that seems unlikely. Any suggestions or speculation will be appreciated... including hte age of these ladies, if you dare!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Old photo - Copy.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    p.s. I'm guessing about 1900.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I assume by the dress of the younger woman quite an exact dating should be possible.

But this still would not say anything about the date the other portrait was made... Here the frame should be the best indicator.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try contacting Mark Osterman at GEH (George Eastman House). He is a true expert.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have pictures of some relatives taken when my great-aunt (maybe great great aunt?) was a baby and some clothing is similar to that of the older woman of your pair. That was 1902.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd say you might need to ask an antique-clothing forum more than a camera forum, but here's my ponderings.
    The one on the left is in all black with a bonnet. Looks to me like a 'mourning dress', which (depending on ethnic-origin / religion etc) was probably worn permanently after her husband had died (though not always, my gf's grandma with bavarian origins got married in a black dress like that).
    The one on the right also looks like you'll have more luck with dating the dress. Although i think I see a signature on it? How much do you know about photographers who might have taken it, chase it that way?
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    No, I don't need "pick up lines"...!

damn, ruined my fun
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm gonna go with the left one being about 50yo therefore 1915 - (95-50) = 1870ish.

No idea about processes or print appearances at that time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie View Post
    I'd say you might need to ask an antique-clothing forum more than a camera forum...
    I was going to say the same thing. Date the photo by the clothing.

I know somebody who might know. If I get a chance, I'll ask.

My guess would be late 1800's to early 1900's but that doesn't give us much more information than we already know.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Does the embossed text in the lower right corner of the folders yield any clues?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin