Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,954   Online: 1204

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    Why would you burn them? They're not hurting anything.
    Once they start to degrade, they can actually self-ignite (chemical process). You can't stop the fire on them and can only hope to stop the fire in whatever is nearby. The best way to dispose of them is to burn them in a controlled way before they catch your house on fire.
    The same base was used for early motion pictures and there were several movie theater fires because of it (though, granted, the films were being lit by pretty hot lights for projection at the time).

Here's the best site I've found for how to test and store old negs - http://www.nedcc.org/free-resources/...nd-duplication In case anyone else comes across this thread while looking for info.
    Last edited by winger; 07-01-2013 at 09:39 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added link

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bethe, you know it, but I would like to emphasize that nitrate film produces toxic gas when burning. One reason more to be carefull when doing so.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Bethe, you know it, but I would like to emphasize that nitrate film produces toxic gas when burning. One reason more to be carefull when doing so.
    I have a large back yard (2 acres). I'm also working on rigging something up so I'll be standing a few feet away using a long match and not holding the neg. It does come in handy being the daughter of an engineer - something genetic in the thought processes, I think. Something for others to consider, though.

(And this is yet another time I miss being at the lab and having a fume hood handy, not to mention the chemicals).

Shooter
    Large Format
    If you're that worried about a fire, I believe I'd buy a cheap safe and keep them in there. I realize nitrate film is much like guncotton, but it's not nitroglycerine. Of course everybody is the measurer of his own safety. At the same time we do live now in a society of alarmists. I guess my point is, if you don't extract the highest possible image off these films now, once they're burned you won't get a do-over. GL

Shooter
    Large Format
    Strike what I said earlier. Have a look at this interesting link:
    http://motion.kodak.com/motion/Suppo...ge_nitrate.htm

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is aimed at tightly rolled film, as most what one can read on this issue.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    I have a large back yard (2 acres). I'm also working on rigging something up so I'll be standing a few feet away using a long match and not holding the neg. It does come in handy being the daughter of an engineer - something genetic in the thought processes, I think. Something for others to consider, though.

(And this is yet another time I miss being at the lab and having a fume hood handy, not to mention the chemicals).
    I wouldn't sweat this. Just burn a small portion, collect the data, and move forward with whatever choice. Burning a small clip is not going to result in a toxic disaster or immediate risk.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That burning was about letting burn the whole lot after reproduction.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I see no need to burn it at all. Segregate the nitrate into a biscuit tin with a couple vent holes and keep it under 38C/100F. It's survived a century in a hot house, it'll be fine for the move as long as you don't leave it locked in a steel shipping container out in the sun. We're not talking about 5000 feet tightly wound, with much higher concentrations of gas and the dense packing causing self-heating from (and therefore acceleration of) decomposition.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's one from the pile of envelopes (with about 7-12 each) in a wrap labeled "1912 Europe" (he was married in 1912). I really like this one for some reason. Most of the others so far aren't as interesting (and maybe my great-grandmother took this one instead - she was a painter as well as a bacteriologist). This is on the larger roll film (mentioned earlier, film about 90mm wide, image 83mm x 140mm).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	imgd077-cr-sm.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	206.8 KB 
ID:	71225

I haven't done any others from this group, yet, I've been doing the baby pictures and shots of my grandmother and her sisters. There's also a trip to England (and maybe more) on smaller film from the 30s.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin