Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,587   Posts: 1,545,819   Online: 1109

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    Here's one from the pile of envelopes (with about 7-12 each) in a wrap labeled "1912 Europe" (he was married in 1912). I really like this one for some reason. Most of the others so far aren't as interesting (and maybe my great-grandmother took this one instead - she was a painter as well as a bacteriologist). This is on the larger roll film (mentioned earlier, film about 90mm wide, image 83mm x 140mm).
    Attachment 71225

I haven't done any others from this group, yet, I've been doing the baby pictures and shots of my grandmother and her sisters. There's also a trip to England (and maybe more) on smaller film from the 30s.
    It's lovely.

I went through this with some film that had expired in 1947 and that I just exposed 6 months ago. I was able to get results from the film, but after PE explained to me WHY it's so dangerous to keep them in the house, I scanned and then burned all my nitrate negs.

The reason was that he explained that the reaction happens when the film switches from one environment from another, so it could also cause a reaction going from humid and hot to cool and dry, but that it had the most chances of reacting to hot moist temps.

But the biggest and most important thing to remember is that it makes its own oxygen, so even in the freezer, in a sealed container, it can ignight, burn, and catch the whole fridge/freezer on fire.

It's really dangerous to keep in the house (again according to PE) and think about it, are old negs more important than your current images that might be lost in a fire, or your life or your children's lives?

So scan it, and get rid of it... If you look in my gallery, you'll find a shot if my nitrate burning on a picnic table I figured I would document the event.

Admittedly I have a few more unshot rolls of nitrate verichrome, maybe once shot I'll burn them and record it on color film to get more of the burn color

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Admittedly I have a few more unshot rolls of nitrate verichrome, maybe once shot I'll burn them and record it on color film to get more of the burn color
    It's no safer for being unexposed. Why would you burn the films with images and keep the equally-dangerous but of no-artistic-value blank ones around?

Shooter
    Large Format
    It's lovely.

I went through this with some film that had expired in 1947 and that I just exposed 6 months ago. I was able to get results from the film, but after PE explained to me WHY it's so dangerous to keep them in the house, I scanned and then burned all my nitrate negs.

The reason was that he explained that the reaction happens when the film switches from one environment from another, so it could also cause a reaction going from humid and hot to cool and dry, but that it had the most chances of reacting to hot moist temps.

But the biggest and most important thing to remember is that it makes its own oxygen, so even in the freezer, in a sealed container, it can ignight, burn, and catch the whole fridge/freezer on fire.

It's really dangerous to keep in the house (again according to PE) and think about it, are old negs more important than your current images that might be lost in a fire, or your life or your children's lives?

So scan it, and get rid of it... If you look in my gallery, you'll find a shot if my nitrate burning on a picnic table I figured I would document the event.

That's an award-winning (or winnable) shot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One might think you guys were talking about storing mixed thermite or ANFO given the tone of imminent danger. Light a wad of fresh clothes dryer lint and compare it to nitrate film. You'll probably switch to a clothes line. Yeah, probably not a good idea to store it in a cardboard box under the curtains in your kid's bedroom, but certainly not worth getting your panties in a bunch if stored properly in a fire resistant container away from flammable materials and ignition sources. What amazes me is that someone can be so scared of nitrate film, but have no qualms about pulling a car in their garage that holds 120lbs of gasoline right under their master bedroom. Strain at a gnat...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    It's no safer for being unexposed. Why would you burn the films with images and keep the equally-dangerous but of no-artistic-value blank ones around?
    Oh I know that, I keep it in a metal box in a feezer in a garage not attached to the house...

I just want to shoot it before getting rid of it. I've just been busy or not had a good shot to use it on.

I SHOULD get rid of it... Soon...

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OK, after doing some burn tests on pieces from edges of many pieces, I have more questions. If a piece of film is nearly 4 inches by 5 1/4 inches and has a hole/tear on one end (as if it had been attached on a spike or pin and then torn off), is that indicative of being pack film? These tend to be in groups of 1 or 2 good ones or 12 of similar timing. And when did that go from being nitrate to acetate (and there are several different types of acetate)? I can only find dates for Kodak and I am fairly sure my great-grandfather used others (at least Agfa-Ansco) at times. Almost no shots have edge codes or writing.

When doing burn tests, I'm taking a piece from the rebate that's about 2 inches long, holding it upright in kelly clamps and touching a match to the top. Some have obviously been nitrate as they burned right down fairly quickly. Some have fizzled out after 1/2 second. Others, curiously, have burned down a little ways then stopped. No real flame, and they look different when burning than the ones I'm sure are nitrate, but the test result is still sorta in between a positive and a negative. Literature I've seen states that only nitrate based film will burn down from the top. Oh to still have access to diphenylamine in sulfuric! I miss the lab (we used that stuff all the time). I'd much prefer to have two test results that agree.

[rant] Why, oh why, did he shoot with several different sizes of cameras and film? There will be an envelope that says "children 1922" and there will be 2 or 3 sizes of frames in that envelope. And no notation of whether they are his daughters or a mix of daughters and cousins. No envelope has a list of who besides the main subject is in any shots. [/rant]

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is no general point in time for that change. There had been bans on nitrate film base in some countries but only concerning certain uses.

Changing to less flammable base material was difficult for the manufacturers for technical and economic reasons.

Nitrate-base cine-print film for cinema use has to be considered the most dangerous form due to circumstanstanes:
    -) mass of material
    -) extreme heating in case of failure
    -) lot of people on confined space

Nevertheless Kodak introduced it first for their home-cinema materials.
    Last edited by AgX; 07-11-2013 at 12:40 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    OK, after doing some burn tests on pieces from edges of many pieces, I have more questions. If a piece of film is nearly 4 inches by 5 1/4 inches and has a hole/tear on one end (as if it had been attached on a spike or pin and then torn off), is that indicative of being pack film? These tend to be in groups of 1 or 2 good ones or 12 of similar timing. And when did that go from being nitrate to acetate (and there are several different types of acetate)? I can only find dates for Kodak and I am fairly sure my great-grandfather used others (at least Agfa-Ansco) at times. Almost no shots have edge codes or writing.

When doing burn tests, I'm taking a piece from the rebate that's about 2 inches long, holding it upright in kelly clamps and touching a match to the top. Some have obviously been nitrate as they burned right down fairly quickly. Some have fizzled out after 1/2 second. Others, curiously, have burned down a little ways then stopped. No real flame, and they look different when burning than the ones I'm sure are nitrate, but the test result is still sorta in between a positive and a negative. Literature I've seen states that only nitrate based film will burn down from the top. Oh to still have access to diphenylamine in sulfuric! I miss the lab (we used that stuff all the time). I'd much prefer to have two test results that agree.

[rant] Why, oh why, did he shoot with several different sizes of cameras and film? There will be an envelope that says "children 1922" and there will be 2 or 3 sizes of frames in that envelope. And no notation of whether they are his daughters or a mix of daughters and cousins. No envelope has a list of who besides the main subject is in any shots. [/rant]
    Take a NEW piece of film and test that, learn how it burns, then compare, that way you have an example of guaranteed safety film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Re: your rant: I'm always more concerned about the lack of identification than differing neg sizes. At least you know the pricipal subject. I have some prints that I remember being told who they were, but never wrote it down and now the person who knows is long deceased. Frustrating... to say the least! I have one last chance at identification -- but that old cousin is a real ball buster so I know I'll have to buy her lunch, vacuum her house, draw her a bath, and who-knows-what-else to get information out of her. And what's more... she'll proably feign memory fade to ensure I'd have to come back later and do all it all over again!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Take a NEW piece of film and test that, learn how it burns, then compare, that way you have an example of guaranteed safety film.

Stuff now is on a polyester base which isn't going to do anything similar and wasn't used until after 1950. The big question is whether these are nitrate or acetate. Each decomposes, but the acetate mainly creates an acidic environment which will further the decomposition, but not burst into flames. My plan is to separate into nitrate and acetate so I can deal with the nitrate ones first as well as keep them separate.
    I have burned a known acetate one and it didn't really even catch. The ones that sorta catch and then stop before going all the way are the ones I can't really ID. I'll likely either make a third pile or call them nitrate.

What's irritating is that there are ones from 1922 that refuse to catch fire and ones from 1926 that do burn. Why couldn't he stay with one type of film?

AgX, I'm just looking to see if someone knows when any other companies might have switched. All the lists I've seen only give dates for Kodak and there were other choices out there. But I would SWEAR I saw a list somewhere and now I can't find it. My google-fu is letting me down.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin