Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,746   Posts: 1,515,662   Online: 734

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Help me identify this.... film? paper? Seriously baffled.

Found this stuff with a bunch of aerial photography gear at an estate sale along with two enlargers. All of the equipment with it dates to the 50's and 60's. I was able to find information on the rest of the gear, but this stumped me bad. I truly have no idea what this is other than the fact that it's light sensitive. Any information or suggestions on where to get information would be very helpful. Thinking it may be color reversal paper due to the "type r" and the fact that there was aerial slide film also in the lot, but not sure.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000180.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	165.5 KB 
ID:	72348Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000184.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	173.1 KB 
ID:	72349

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Likely slow speed orthochomatic film used for making printing plates. Comes in a 9" width; might be deisgned to allow printing of 8.5" final copy with edges of the material held in the printing frame.
    Might be very thick gelatin silver mix, expose to UV, and the wash the unhardened gelatine off, then further harden the remaining gelatin in formadehyde, and use it fp photomechanical offset plates.

These are wild guesses. Pull some out in the aboslute dark, snip off a bit. Put some in paper developer for say 5 minutes in the dark, fix after dev, then lights on, to see how fogged it is.
    Second part fix directly to see how dark the base is.

After that, expose a next snip to incandescant light for measuresd reproducable amounts under the enalrger - start with something like f/4 30 seconds, to see if you can put any back exposure onto it.

Go from there - scientific method. Hypothesis, test, adjust, iterate.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My guess would be similar to Mike's.

I thought that the shared use of PlateMaster on this link to a more recent, digital product was potentially informative: http://reprocentre.ie/wordpress/wp-c...DPM34scHSC.pdf
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin