Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,872   Posts: 1,583,518   Online: 1022

Shooter
    Large Format

Curious/research

This may be silly, but I am very curious about history and came across this illustration of an old view camera. I was wondering If the eye attachment, darkcloth was a used item in this era or is this just an illustration. I have found nothing about it, and was very interested. I also think this idea is amusing...
    Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails early-photographic-camera.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    It's called a viewing hood and they are quite real, whether that particular illustration represents a real product or just the general idea. Here's a couple slightly different examples: http://www.graflex.org/articles/view-hood/ and http://www.graflex.org/articles/series-d/.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have similar on 5 LF SLRs, many took an optional binocular magnifier. This one's just one of many types of viewing aid. The ground glass screens on pre-WWII cameras weere not that bright and anything that helped was useful.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hey, thanks for the reply. I had just never seen this particular kind and was intrigued.
    Seems like a pretty wicked and useful hood!
    Thanks again,

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know about that one. I can guess why it didn't catch on, turn your head too quick and pull your camera over.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin