Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,856   Online: 1083

Thread: rummage boxes

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format

rummage boxes

I guess one finds these boxes at various places:

Boxes at photo shops where (typically old and used) stuff is literally dumped in which cannot bring up decent money anymore.

The issue I got with those boxes is that if stuff had not already been worn out at the outer it will be soon in those boxes. Making boxes with dividers will need more space or more inventive and expensive designs.

But there seems to be another aspect, as one dealer told me that customers looking for old stuff bargains would not except an orderly assortment.

Any comments?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    We used to have a couple of large dump bins full of used straps, filters, ever ready cases and various other bit's and pieces in the photo stores I managed that the customers used to like to rummage in . it's one of the things that I personally miss in camera shops these days they no longer seem to have them, everything they sell is brand new and there's no chance to find that replacement rubber eye cup for that old camera you have you've been looking for for years etc..
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My local camera shop did away with their box. Since they no longer carry chemistry and film selection consists of films that I don't use I have no reason to go back.

The next closest camera shop is an hour or so away. They have all sorts of old stuff on the shelves in the back of the store and still sell used film cameras and lenses. I'll go there more often now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Our store never had one. They just put everything in storage and then have a garage sale once a year.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For the shop once stuff gets to the point where it makes sense to dump it like that, then it does not pay to have an employee sort it.
    For the customers, they get a sense of accomplishment by sorting through the stuff and coming up with just the piece they need. People like tresure hunts.

It also raises the chance that the customer will find something else interesting and buy that too, whereas if it was all sorted and they didn't need to hunt, then they might just pick up what they want and ignore the rest.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I love these section in stores, usually clothes department stores are the same disorderly pile of "crap", but i oftentimes find >$80 clothes for <$10... or at least that the only time i buy them... i noticed when kodak stopped making wratten filters the store made a box of these and other analog accessories... similarly i find that these boxes will be no more, as there's nothing that expires as quickly as film/chemistry... the only thing one can expect are discontinued products perhaps? filters and ???

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't see films or chemistries at those boxes but typically old, used cameras, flashlight, filters, cases etc. that are defect, or just not worthy enough for the 2.hand shelf. Sometimes old, but unused stock that does not longer fit in their sales range.

Shooter
    35mm
    Rarely see these boxes these days. I keep reading that the place to find old cameras are charity shops. The UK has lots of these but I have yet to find anything other than the usual Kodak Brownie 127's. Obviously somebody must be getting to these places before I do!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    At the biannual PHSNE Photographica shows in Wakefield, MA, we have a "dollar table," where gear from dealers that don't want to pack it up at the end of the show, various boxes of goodies from donations and assorted bits from around the organization's warehouse go for a buck or sometimes up to $10. This often includes cameras that will not yield to immediate attempts to make them work (dead battery, slow shutter, etc.), darkroom stuff that will not sell in auction and things we just don't want to bother with, given we have little space and lots of people "cleaning out" a loved-one's gear after he or she has passed on. It is, without a doubt, the hit of every show. There are often things there that are real finds for the person that wants them–useless junk to anyone else.

Shooter
    35mm
    Funny you should mention this: my local photo store, Newtonville Camera, has a "bargain" bin. It's where I get straps for the cameras I find. Lens caps, and the occasional filter as well. Why pay for a new one (if you can find it), when a used one will often do just as well?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin