Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,954   Posts: 1,522,791   Online: 985

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Ilford reference negative

Does anyone recollect them? I bought a book on darkroom techniques in an used book store. The book came with a vinil bag that contained a 5x7 RC print and an original FP4 (not plus) negative in a small glassine sleeve. There is also additional info given which reveals that the film was developed in ID11 stock, the photo was taken with a motorised Nikon camera and printed on Ilfospeed Multigrade glossy paper. The photo is of English countryside with a house and a human figure (a fisherman) by a lake. It's purpose I guess was to show novice photographers how a properly exposed and developed negative looks like.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Never seen it. Very interesting!

What I know and somehow is related to it are the editions of the "Agfacolor" book by Berger which all contain a print on Agfacolor paper.
    I guess I somewhere got a technical photo-book containing a positive transparency.
    But a book containing a negative as educational sample is new to me.

However one dustcover for the Berger book bears a photograph of a woman doing her make up in front of a mirror. One of the two images of her is positive the other negative. An intriguing photo-montage.
    Last edited by AgX; 09-25-2013 at 04:44 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My guess is the book didn't contain the negative when bought new, rather I was just lucky that the previous book owner supplied it with the book.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe Simon Galley remembers when Ilford issued these reference negatives? Were they supplied on special request only? I would really like to know more about it. Meanwhile I will look for it and show it here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think the reference negatives and prints were attached to the cover or inside one of the UK Photo magazines. I had them, 1970's I think.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 09-26-2013 at 02:26 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks. It must have travelled a long way then as I got it from a bookstore in San Jose, Costa Rica.
    Last edited by miha; 09-26-2013 at 06:53 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by miha View Post
    Thanks. It must have travelled a long way then as I got it from a bookstore in San Jose, Costa Rica.
    It's quite probable Ilford ran similar promotions in the US, I know they gave prints of images by well known photographers printed on Ilford paper with a French magazine, I have a Robert Doisneau print from my last visit to Paris (there were a few different images).

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I too have one of the promotional prints from - I think - William Klein, printed on Agfa paper, that came with a French magazine PHOTO about ten years ago. But the reference negative was aimed at beginners, so that they would know how a good negative and print look like. What is surprising is that the small RC print survived for at least 30 years with no signs of deterioration in a PVC sleeve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a Kodak Colour Dataguide from 1968 and another from 1974 which both came with a negative [Ektacolor Professional S - C22 Process] and an accompanying 2x3 inch print. They were definitely part and parcel of the original publication as the envelope's edge is incorporated into the spiral binding.

I really wish I'd been in the right place at the right time to be on the receiving end of some of those prints in the French magazines that Ian mentioned.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have one, don't remember how , but I beleive it was in a book put out by Ilford.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin