Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,670   Posts: 1,481,767   Online: 1017

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    Hmm, what exactly do you do you drive?
    Perhaps a Cessna... or a small yacht?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    i would call the northeast document conservation center and ask them
    who would appraise it for you. i have seen many ambrotypes over the years
    and i think 800 seems a bit excessive, unless the person who took it is well known ...
    but what do i know ...

they say that something is worth what someone will pay you for it so even if the
    person who appraises it says it is worth 100$, you can easily put it on the auction site
    with a hefty reserve and se

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Regular Rod View Post
    They are certainly resting. My working cocker spaniel does exactly that after a day out on a shoot. They look like springer spaniels with very close cropped coats, a most sensible arrangement for dogs that work as hard and is as tough an environment as they are often expected to do. The advice to have it appraised is surely good advice.

RR
    Actually, they look more like English pointers.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by r-brian View Post
    Actually, they look more like English pointers.

Fashions change and they certainly look more like spaniels to my eyes, especially the one on the right.

RR

Shooter
    35mm
    The length and shape of noses and ears, the legs and coats all say to me that these dogs aren't spaniels. Not that this is relevant to the subject of what the picture is worth.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    The length and shape of noses and ears, the legs and coats all say to me that these dogs aren't spaniels. Not that this is relevant to the subject of what the picture is worth.

pentaxuser

They look pretty typical of working spaniels wearing short haircuts. They look nothing like a modern show dog. These are the real deal. My working cocker, who wears the same haircut, looks just like them only he is smaller and black all over. One thing puzzles me though and that is why are they wearing collars? Working dogs, hunter retrievers that is, shouldn't work in collars in case they get hung up.

RR

Shooter
    Large Format
    Ambrotypes don't sell nearly as high as daguerreotypes. If it's a normal size (about 2x3 inch or 3x4 inch even) I think the offerer just likes it and wants it. I'd sell it for that and not waste time appraising it. You can do your own appraisal by seeing what similar items (animal shots on ambro or tintypes) have sold for. I bet it's less than $400. If it happens to be large, about 4x5 or larger, it's worth more. I'd sell now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    I'd sell now.
    ... if the seller is still interested, and still interested at that price. Offers like that are interesting in that they often have a short duration of interest.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin