Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,232   Online: 852

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Question - Value of Hunting Dog Ambrotype

I found an unusual ambrotype in my family's old summer house. I put it on eBay and immediately got a message from a collector offering me $800. I want to be sure I get fair value for it, as proceeds go toward stabilizing the house. Do any of you have a sense of its value? And please tell me these dogs are only sleeping!

Case is in good shape overall, but there's a bit of plastic missing at one of the clasps. From what I can tell, it's the subject matter that makes this piece unusual.
    All information greatly appreciated. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0196.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	574.2 KB 
ID:	75388Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0212.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	872.5 KB 
ID:	75389Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0206.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	739.0 KB 
ID:	75390

Shooter
    Large Format
    800 clams,800 simolions, 800 bucks. Yessireebob, out the door. That's a good tank and a half of gas.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If someone immediately offered you $800, I think it would be in your best interest to have it professionally appraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What size is the image? Subjects that are not portraits are unusual and I'd probably entertain the offer if I were in your shoes.

And I think those puppies are sleeping.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I also wonder if the purchaser might be just as interested in the frame/box as he is in the photograph. Yes, I'd get it appraised.

The seller wasn't asking for some strange pay arrangement, was he? Like he'd send you a check for more than the amount and you could send him back the extra in cash, etc. -- i.e., a scammer, offering you an amount you'd jump to get so you'd be willing to overlook odd pay arrangements?

Shooter
    35mm

Many thanks

Thanks, everyone. I guess a professional appraiser is the way to go. No, the $800 offer didn't sound like a scam - it came from someone who clearly collects such things (judging by their eBay store). And thanks for the assurance that the dogs are sleeping. I sure hope so. But knowing the Victorians....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by susanb View Post
    Thanks, everyone. I guess a professional appraiser is the way to go. No, the $800 offer didn't sound like a scam - it came from someone who clearly collects such things (judging by their eBay store). And thanks for the assurance that the dogs are sleeping. I sure hope so. But knowing the Victorians....
    Well, if this potential buyer is also a seller, think about it this way:
    He's running a business, and would not offer something unless he thinks he can make a profit on it, so maybe it's worth more than the $800. So it's up to you to decide to either:
    - Take the guaranteed $800.
    - List it yourself at $1 no reserve auction, take the gamble that there's at least two people who might want it to outbid each other past $800, or that if noone else notices the auction you might get less.
    - Stick it up for a 'buy it now' of something like $1500. It might take a while to sell at such a high price, could take a year, but eventually someone will see it who's willing and able to pay that much.

If you really need the money and need it quick, take the $800 (you can do legal/safe things like end the auction early and send him a second-chance offer at $800, you'll still pay ebay/paypal fees but you're paying for their protection), if you want to gamble just list it no-reserve, or if you'd rather hold out for more money then post it with a higher buy-it-now price.

But yeah, a professional appraisal sounds like a good idea first, maybe the frame is real gold?

ps, those dogs are just pooped after a long day, they're the type of dogs you hunt with, not the type you hunt.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Susan the subject matter is not as common as say portraits and gets you a higher price, maybe the buyer recognized the photographer, the case is another thing that can bring money. Since you've said plastic the case would be what people call union cases and they were made from Shellac saw dust and other stuff. Those early thermoplastic cases are often worth more than their content. Good literature would be: Union Cases: A Collector's Guide to the Art of America's First Plastics by Krainik and Walvoord

Shooter
    Medium Format
    They are certainly resting. My working cocker spaniel does exactly that after a day out on a shoot. They look like springer spaniels with very close cropped coats, a most sensible arrangement for dogs that work as hard and is as tough an environment as they are often expected to do. The advice to have it appraised is surely good advice.

RR

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    800 clams,800 simolions, 800 bucks. Yessireebob, out the door. That's a good tank and a half of gas.
    Hmm, what exactly do you do you drive?
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin