Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,921   Posts: 1,522,096   Online: 714

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Identifying this antique lens (Anzoux?)

Hi all,

I recently inherited this antique lens,
    now the problem is I can't make heads or tails of the thing (I believe its a projector lens but not sure).
    The internet hasn't been a real big help figuring this out. So that's why I was wondering if this forum could help me out

I removed a little bit of the "protective" paint on the lens and it revealed an inscription:
    "Anzoux & français (...text...) Paris"

The lens weighs more than 3kg and the lens diameter is about 90mm.
    It has a "controle" on the side which makes the inner lens move (to focus it, I guess).

Any information concerning this lens would be real helpful (Age of the lens, what it was used for, anzoux & francais, value, ...)

Thanks in advance!

(I'll try and attach photo's)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0082.jpg   DSC_0053.jpg  

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    It looks like a Petzval camera lens from the wet plate era (1850's-1870s). Some silly person gave it a coat of paint, but originally, it would have been varnished brass. It would have been mainly used for portraits. The value would depend on the condition of the glass (an if it's all there) and the focal length.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I could not find it in Vade Mecum third addition
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks worthless (you should give it to me)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A few months back, a member here sold a BIG (16-inch f/4) Anzoux lens on APUG. That one was apparently a Petzval: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum379/...zval-lens.html

"Opt'ns Fab'nts" I would assume means "Opticiens Fabricants" or "manufacturing opticians". I can't read the line below that.

Does yours have a slot for Waterhouse stops?

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    127 Format
    Images
    Brevete sans garantie du gouvernement = Patented without government guarantee.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Looks more like "Auzoux" - look at the 'n' in "Francais".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Looks more like "Auzoux" - look at the 'n' in "Francais".
    From Vade Mecum third edition
    Arnoux & Cie
    Grand Angulaire They were noted for a Wide Angle No 13,47x with wheel stops, which was apparently originally sold by R.A.Goldman, Vienna.

Auzoux et Cie, France.
    They are noted for a Grand Angulaire (Wide Angle) No C at Nr 13,47x with disk stops on a Goldman (Wien) 18x24cm camera. (This seems to be a repeat of the Arnoux data and needs to be clarified.)

Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Many more Google hits on "Auzoux", but none of them have much to say. There was a short LFF thread: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...s-Maker-Auzoux

It sounds like they're much of a muchness with the other French brass-lens manufacturers, which seems like it bodes well for the quality of the lens.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    35mm
    Wow thanks already for the replies (and information!),

Auzoux hmm might make sense.

There's No waterhouse slot (which is why I think it'd be a projector lens) however there's a square Cut out in the base lens metal (as you can see in the picture).
    But there's no opening the "inner" lens. It is completeley shut off. The only reason I could see for this opening is that it once may have had "markings" so you could tell the current focus (But that's just speculation ofcourse)

I'll see if I can upload some more foto's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin