Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,856   Posts: 1,583,051   Online: 943

Shooter
    35mm

Anyone know anything about this camera (London Stereoscopic Co.)

Hello there, I am new to this forum and it was recommended to me by a member of the "talkphotography" forum, in regards to finding out about this camera I have acquired.

Hopefully this is the correct section!

I was today given this camera from a woman at work, cleaning out her garage and thought I might like it. I know nothing about the older cameras, and to be honest can only have an educated guess as to how it works, and what parts fit where.

It appears to be in an average to well used condition, screws missing out of it, although she gave me a canister full of different screws and fixings from the camera.

Can anyone shed some more light on it? I don't quite know where to begin. Also is there any value in it?

Regards, James

[/COLOR][/FONT]Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2427.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	165.6 KB 
ID:	79469

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2429.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	225.5 KB 
ID:	79470

Name:	IMG_2431.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	131.0 KB 
ID:	79471

Name:	IMG_2433.jpg 
Size:	120.6 KB 
ID:	79472

Name:	IMG_2435.jpg 
Size:	155.1 KB 
ID:	79473

Name:	IMG_2437.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	147.0 KB 
ID:	79474

Name:	IMG_2439.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	134.7 KB 
ID:	79475

Name:	IMG_2441.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	135.8 KB 
ID:	79476

Shooter
    35mm
    Looks fabulous.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    That is a seriously cool camera. My first thought is be very careful the way you clean it. Especially the lens. Something as simple as dusting it off with a rag can do a lot of harm.

You should write to curator, link on this page of Ghettimages. They have 75,ooo images from this company. It looks like you have the early version before they had a name change.

http://corporate.gettyimages.com/mas...er.aspx?id=lsc
    Last edited by patrickth; 01-04-2014 at 12:17 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Looks very similar to this one: http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30004839

The date of 1900 fits in well with the company name of "London Stereoscopic & Photographic Co. Ltd" - Listed as the trading name between 1885 to 1912.

I'm sure Ian will be along shortly and can provide further details of the camera.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Lens is C.P.Goerz Berlin and best lens ever made for Large Format Cameras. They are very expensive lenses. If you order a restoring , you would have an excellent combination. Ian Grant is an expert on old cameras and he would give you an idea.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The London Stereoscopic Co still exist it's owned by Brian May the animal rights activist and sometime musician who once played on the roof of Buckingham Palace

They re-badged some cameras they sold in their store under their own name. I do have a 1899 advert for their cameras (not yet scanned). It's a Goerz Anschutz camera, not sure if it's a focal plane shutter version but it looks like it. I think there's a Goer advert for the camera in the same Xmas edition of the magazine.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 01-04-2014 at 05:16 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: add

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin