Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,202   Posts: 1,531,559   Online: 1119

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Damaged Cabinet Card - restoration technique?

I have a cabinet card that when I purchased it, it was complete and undamaged. When it arrived, the seller had packed it rather casually and a piece of tape got stuck to the card and lifted a big chunk of the emulsion off the base. FORTUNATELY, the emulsion chunk remained intact and was able to be separated from the tape. I have saved the chunk. Does anyone here know the best technique for re-attaching the chunk? I believe it is an albumen print but I could be wrong, and it could be some kind of collodion print.

Here is the damaged card:

And here it is with the chunk re-attached in Photoshop:

The chunk actually fits better in real life than I was able to make it fit via Photoshop - if/when reattached, it would be a nearly seamless blend.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I don't really know. But I thought of rice glue; then I thought of just using the wheat glue from this "Lineco Archival Museum Mounting Kit"
    http://www.artsupply.com/Lineco-Arch...t_p_45429.html
    Wish you could have ones to practice on, so you could have a do over.
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    First off, did you notify the seller that HE caused damage to the card? The response you recieve will let you know what course of action to take next. If you are determined to keep the card, then mount it on a semi rigid backing with an archival adhesive.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Please excuse my ignorence but what is a "cabinet card"?
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    A Cabinet Card is a photograph mounted on a rigid cardstock type backing, roughly 4"x6" in size, most likely an albumen print (but it could be something else), made between the 1870s and 1910s.

Rick A - I did notify the seller and he offered to refund my money. I think I'll just keep the thing, as it wouldn't be worth the time and hassle to return it to London. I only paid $2 for it.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin