Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,946   Posts: 1,585,847   Online: 1052

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Valuing an oddball lens

I have a strange older lens: a SOM Berthiot wide-angle for Contax mount. It might be a post-factory conversion, but it doesn't have any markings to indicate the fact (as Roger Lemasson, for instance, seems usually to have marked his lens conversions).

I think I'd like to get it appraised, mainly to find out whether its value as a collectible greatly exceeds its value as a shooter. (It's a perfectly usable lens, but nothing miraculous, and I shoot very little 35mm anyway.) The appraiser would need to be fairly well plugged in to the strange-European-lenses market, as this isn't really normal stuff even in the collectible world---Berthiot lenses for Contax are pretty thin on the ground in general, and I've never seen *any* other example of this particular lens.

I've never had an appraisal done for anything that wasn't a house. How does this work, and how do I find someone who can do the job competently?

Much thanks

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    35mm

eboy

Did you look for clues on Eboy? It seems they are made by a French company. There's a lot of those lenses for movie cameras, Bolex-era and such.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Contact the Leicashop in Vienna they might even be interested in the lens themselves either for an auction (Westlicht) or for their shop.
    www.leicashop.at

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    Contact the Leicashop in Vienna they might even be interested in the lens themselves either for an auction (Westlicht) or for their shop.
    www.leicashop.at
    See, this is the sort of thing I don't know: If I approach a dealer for an appraisal, doesn't that create a conflict of interest for them? What if I get the appraisal and then decide not to sell, or accept an offer from someone else?

This does seem like the sort of item Westlicht deals in, I just don't know how one approaches dealmaking in those circles.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    If it's Leica, they like it.

Kent in SD

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Auction houses often offer free appraisal Westlicht is an auction house and affilated to the Leicashop same building and owner. Westlicht prefers that a seller or interested persons contact them by phone or email.

Peter Coeln (Owner)
    Tel: ++43 1 523 5659 10
    E-Mail: pcoeln@leicashop.com

Jo Geier
    Tel: ++43 1 523 5659 12
    E-Mail: hgeier@leicashop.com

or

auction@westlicht.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin