Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,277   Posts: 1,534,817   Online: 840

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Any information on a Braun F 22 flash unit

I have a Braun F 22 flash unit completely preserved and barely used with original cables and the instruction manual. I am trying to find information about it, but could find nothing anywhere. Does anybody know anything about it (specs, value, etc.) and is somebody interested in buying it or swapping it for something else, or tell me of a place where I could offer it? I have no pictures of it at this time, but I can upload them in a few days if that would help.

Many thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Photos would help a lot.

Shooter
    35mm

Braun F 22 photos

Quote Originally Posted by randyB View Post
    Photos would help a lot.
    Thanks and I hope it helps.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Braun F 22_2_resize.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	136.8 KB 
ID:	83737

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Looks to be an early-mid 60's flash. If it has ni-cad batteries they probably won't hold a charge. Value is zero, I've thrown away many of this type in years past when they quit working. I may still have a few in my junk box of photo equipment. If by chance it still works, you CAN use it, but I would not, especially with any post 80's electronic controlled cameras including digital. The discharge voltage of these older flashes could easily damage the electronics of newer cameras. If yours is in very nice condition you could make a "period" display with a 60's era camera.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is not the main discharge voltage of several hundred Volts that is critical, as the camera will not be in contact with it, but the discharge of an accessory circuit. This trigger voltage (and trigger current) is the one at the synchro contacts.
    Last edited by AgX; 03-09-2014 at 11:04 AM. Click to view previous post history.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    At local fleamarkets such a set would be below 5€.
    The guide number of many electronic flashlights is hidden in the designation. Be aware that in the past that guide number was refered to 18 and not 21 DIN. More simple is of course to calculate it from the dial.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    There used to be a device called something like Safe-Sync that went between the high-voltage trigger voltage and the hot shoe or PC socket on the camera; the SS lowered the trigger voltage to something like 7V or so that would not damage the contacts in the camera (or the electronic circuits on more modern cameras).

Shooter
    35mm

Braun F 22 flash unit

Thank you very much for all the replies. I guess the unit is pretty much garbage then as I wouldn't dare to connect it to my 5D MII. It's too bad though, because it does indeed work very well and it does hold a charge, although it is better to keep it plugged into a socket. Maybe even too well as I was able to illuminate stuff more than 20m away. Much stronger than my modern flash units.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are circuits drawings on the net or here of opto-coupler trigger devices. You might fit such circuit into your unit to make it useful for all cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can still use it as a slave flash, just connect it to a slave sensor. The sensor sees the camera flash and trips the F-22 flash, no direct (wired) connection between camera and the F-22. I've done many commercial photo shoots were I had 4-5 flashes similar to the F-22 strung out 75-100 meters to light select areas of a huge warehouse interior.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin