Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,960   Posts: 1,523,077   Online: 998

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Help dating a tintype

I recently purchased a cased tintype of an armed soldier. The soldier is wearing a pith helmet, a jacket that looks like something out of a Wild West show, a belt buckle that says US on it, the trousers appear to have a Marine Corps blood stripe down the leg, and is armed with what appears to be a percussion cap rifle with bayonet. I'm going to assume this is post-civil-war. Whatever it is, it's highly confusing.

Any help identifying the unit and the time frame would be greatly appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Soldier_GuttaPercha-BeltBuckle.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	348.8 KB 
ID:	90219

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    About half way down this page: http://angloboerwarmuseum.com/Boer70...hen1_helm.html - The helmet looks very similar to an 1898 issue.

Another explanation is possibly a travelling fair, and this client dressed up for the part.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Unless the traveling fair is the explanation, the 1898 date is highly unlikely because of the type of rifle (percussion cap rifles were replaced by bolt-action and/or repeating lever-action rifles like the Winchester in military service by the 1880s, and the belt buckle he's wearing was phased out of US military service by the early 1870s. My personal take on this is that it "feels" like an earlier tintype from the Civil War period (1860-65) or slightly thereafter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_c5x4 View Post
    Another explanation is possibly a travelling fair, and this client dressed up for the part.
    this sort of thing is and was very common

fwiw the helmet looks like an 1880s sun helmet
    http://www.militarysunhelmets.com/20...mer-sun-helmet

maybe it is from the spanish expeditionary forces in the 1880s/90s
    Last edited by jnanian; 06-26-2014 at 08:21 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    ask me how ..

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin