Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,958   Posts: 1,523,019   Online: 1264

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

My foray into vernacular photography collecting

My fiance' and I went to Seattle for a quick getaway. One place we have to visit is Watson Kennedy http://www.watsonkennedy.com/store/Main.asp.

Both stores have old snap shots torn out of albums for sale for $3 each. Some were over 100 years old. I was mesmerized by the photos. I was stepping back in time. Some have notes written of the people, place and time. Photos of those times 50-100 years ago seem to be special objects when it's different edges, emulsions and textures of paper. All of them are black and white fiber based paper and some are ferrotyped. I bought a few that are contact prints no bigger than postage stamps. Now I have a pile of them in glassine envelopes. I'd like to mount them with archival photo corners with a mat and display them. Do any other APUGers collect vernacular photographs?
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yes, I do - and I blog about it (the link is in my signature). Vernacular covers a very wide range of images, from $1 photo postcards to Mathew Brady daguerreotypes. It's just as much fun to get the one as it is to get the other because you can discover images that are every bit as artful and pleasing to the eye in the instant-ancestor bin at the flea market as photos from name artists selling in galleries.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I do as well. I mostly focus on 1960s-1990s color photographs.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin