Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,552   Posts: 1,646,352   Online: 1032

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Argus Day -- Argust 14th is looming into sight ...

A little heads up: Every year the Argus Collectors Group encourages folks to get out their old Argus gear and shoot some pictures on a designated day. Of the resulting images, your choice of two may be submitted to the ACG to wind up on line. The event started on Argust 1st, 2001 (yes, that's 'August') and occurs one year and one day later each successive year.

Yours Truly isn't really a collector, having "collected" a C3 at the beginning of 19-ought-58, a junior in high school spending his Christmas money. This year the plan is to shoot some frames on Panatomic X from a bulk roll that has appeared in my "stuff." I tried some yesterday, in the C3 even, and was quite pleasantly surprised at the outcome. We shall run 27 year old film through the 47 year old camera to celebrate the day.

I am now registered with the ACG, but you've never had to be a member to submit Argus Day images. The event is nowhere near as large or well organized as something like Worldwide Pinhole Photography Day, but there are a few of us crazy old stalwarts out there trying to keep it alive.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have 2 used C-3'sand a cheapy reflex. I bought the reflex over 60years ago . I hope it still works

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The first camera I overhauled was an Argus C4. The whole job was accomplished with nothing but a straight bladed screwdriver and a measuring tape! I kid you not. It took really nice pics after that, but I did soon tire of that "zinnnnnng" shutter that reminded me of a cartoon animal.

By a strange coincidence, 10 years later, I bought a $15 Argoflex from Etsy just this morning. Even though I'm selling my gear, I want to have an inexpensive and light 6x6 TLR around.

https://www.etsy.com/transaction/216...aid=e1fc604f0c
    Last edited by momus; 07-28-2014 at 07:05 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This I'm going to do. I've been totally uninspired lately, plus the hot weather, but I've got a couple of old Argus cameras around somewhere, and this is just the the thing to get me going again. Thanks for the post!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ho ho, Wednesday evening I picked up my C-3 to attach a quick release plate and something caught my eye. The aperture blades in the lens were skewed off center. Checking more carefully it turned out they didn't move when one adjusted the setting dial!

So, a few hours with small tools later the lens was back together with working aperture. I've no idea when it got into that state, but the condition would appear to make the results of an earlier test with Panatomic-X pretty questionable. (It may even account for some asymmetrical vignetting noticed last year. So with some exposure bracketing I ran through a 20 exposure roll yesterday and managed to get some frames that are "OK" if not optimal.

An interesting exercise!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin