Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,038   Posts: 1,560,677   Online: 999

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

right word for cog wheel?

Hi John,

I think Arigram is not the only one to benefit from your tips. Especially the links to small part and mcmaster are nice. Indeed, very nice shops, but, pray, my dear fellow, why don't they sell cog wheels? And if they do sell 'em, under what name can they be found? I know no other word than the cog wheel one.... or is that immensely out of fashion these days?

Cheers, medform-norm (in a very 19th century-ish mood from reading too much Henry James - I do apologize...)

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Maybe the word you're looking for is gear?
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

YES!

Quote Originally Posted by colrehogan
    Maybe the word you're looking for is gear?
    Yes,it is! Funny, I know the word, but never knew you could also use to denominate a cog wheel. As I said elswehere, you can learn something new here every day.

Thanks, Diane, for making our shopping sooo much easier!

Cheers, medform-norm

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by arigram
    Can anyone point to me a resource or two I can use to learn to do atleast basic cosmetic restoration?
    Ari,
    Here are two sites that feature AGFA repairs, but the techniques could be applied to other cameras.

http://www.ph.utexas.edu/%7Eyue/misc/AnscAgfa.html

http://www.davidrichert.com/AGFA%20rebuild/agfa.htm

(be sure to visit the DIGITAL camera repair site at the top. Repair. Yea, right.
    Digital camera re-buy is more like it.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So... Once you've repaired them, will you be into selling some of them to us cheapskates?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ed Romney is definitely a source one shouldn't ignore.
    http://www.edromney.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    Rick Oleson has an informative website here: http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-27.html. Lots of DIY info, sketches, etc. His classic camera collection is also on another branch of that website if you like that sort of thing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    RE polishing metal, especially brass

Remove it from the wood first. Metal polish kills the wood. Especially Brasso, and liquid polishes, which seep into the screw holes and causes rot.

Be content to use Pledge or simple spray on polish for the bellows, especially thin leather. It is easy to make the cardboard stiffeners unglue themselves. Never use neatsfoot oil, or armorall.

If your screw drivers don't fit perfectly, buy a new one and file it to fit.

Do less than you think you should. Consider the era of the camera. Find reference materials from that time for finishes, and metal work.

Be careful when working from guides by 'repair authorities'. There have always been many technicians, some of them good. Not many good ones ever wrote how-to books.

Have fun !

Don
    "This suspense is terrible. I hope it lasts."

[I]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ari,
    For patching pinholes in bellows, Artists acrylic paint can be used using a toothpick or straight pin to apply it. Apply in light coats & allow to dry between. It may only require one coat & maybe you'll have a source for artists supplies locally.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by medform-norm
    Hi John,

I think Arigram is not the only one to benefit from your tips. Especially the links to small part and mcmaster are nice. Indeed, very nice shops, but, pray, my dear fellow, why don't they sell cog wheels? And if they do sell 'em, under what name can they be found? I know no other word than the cog wheel one.... or is that immensely out of fashion these days?

Cheers, medform-norm (in a very 19th century-ish mood from reading too much Henry James - I do apologize...)

Small Parts has brass rack and pinion gears in stock if that is what you are looking for. That would be the correct term for the type of gears that are used in the focusing rails of most field cameras.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin