Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,042   Posts: 1,560,742   Online: 1107

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Your First Purchase?

What was your first "vintage" photo purchase and why did you buy it?
    Did you spend big bucks?

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    A 1890's photo by Knut Knudsen, of a so far unidentified scene from western Norway. Rapidly followed by several more, mostly by the same artist, from the same region (dead easy, he stayed here all his life!).

Then a few others including a 1860's French cyanotype, I guess out of curiosity.

All of these have been cheap. Some of them have been ridiculously cheap.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Three stereo cards depicting scenes from WWI. I saw them in an antique store and thought that they needed a good home. They didn't cost very much either.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    1/4 plate dag's purchased at a local antique store 15 years ago. i have no idea who they are of, but i liked the portraits and think i paid about $15 each

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian
    1/4 plate dag's purchased at a local antique store 15 years ago. i have no idea who they are of, but i liked the portraits and think i paid about $15 each
    Good purchase John...try do find a dag for $15 today. My first 'vintage' purchase was a 5x7 glass plate negative for one of my brothers..military portrait, Spanish-American war - around the 1890's. Since then, have picked up several military images for him, here and there - from mid 1880's to WWII.
    Many historians think that everyone in the military has been photographed - either individual or group - since the Civil War (yes, it is a strange thing to call a war - since no war is civil). Interesting thought, and a great insite to US history...from CDV's to digital...now that's a pretty broad range of image capture.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photomc
    Good purchase John...try do find a dag for $15 today.
    i was pretty psyched when i snarfed them up <g>

after the dags i have an even better 2nd vintage purchase ...
    manhattan wizard plate camera (4x5) with case/strap/holders together with a boatload of magic lantern slides of early pioneers of the american aviation/air mail scene. ( a lot of the images can be seen here: http://www.airmailpioneers.org/Saga/Sagapage1.htm and in a book that was published a few years back ) ... i have since sold off the slides to a hardcore collector, but kept the camera ..

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hmmm. Come to think of it, I have some glass slides that I bought a few years ago. They were pre-WWII. Guess that's really my first purchase.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Probably a lantern slide of a scene of a rice paddy in the Phillipines. My wife is Filipino, and we liked it. I've tried to dupe and print it, but it is extremely contrasty.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I recently bought a Voigtlander Brillant, circa 1933 (or so the seller said). I still haven't figured out if it works, or how to get it to.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A few negatives from a retiring 3rd generation photographer in my home town.
    A lot of pictures from the 1910s and 20s, my grandparents/great-grandparents wer in a few of those
    Mama took my APX away.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin