Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,384   Posts: 1,683,144   Online: 983

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

weirdness on 50mm RB67 lens

Hi, I'm hoping someone here can give me a quick idea of what is up with my lens. I'm new to shooting, developing and printing B&W and have been playing around with medium and large format for about a year. My previous experience was with 35mm. I purchased an RB67 not too long ago, and wanted to purchase a 50mm lens for it. I saw one on ebay that looked good (it was described as mint, specifically purchased for one photoshoot) and when I received it, it did indeed look good. I've shot a few rolls, and other than it being slightly soft on occasion (which may be me or may be the lens - at this point I'm not sure I've paid enough attention to the floating element) it looks pretty good. My only question has to do with a "ring" or a "halo" I see when I view the lens at a certain angle. I have no idea what it could be - it doesn't look like separation. To my untrained eye, it looks like the antiglare coating was applied but not to the whole lens. I have attached a photo link. I'm wondering if this is normal-ish and nothing to worry about, or if I should look for another specimen of this lens. Thanks for any input, and I apologize if this isn't the best place to post this. I didn't see a forum to discuss equipment, other than antiques.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lens.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can get all sorts of weird reflections in my copy, but I can't get any 'halo' effect. Can you see any evidence of it from the rear?
    I hate when people ask me what I see myself doing in 5 years...... I don't have 2020 vision!

Shooter
    Large Format
    None that I can see. I can't even see it if I'm looking directly at the lens from the front. I'd say it's something with the back side of the front-most element. It's very apparent when you see it, like in the photo. I'm probably just paranoid.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I might take a real hard look with some kind of magnifying glass or loop. Years ago I had a 65mm that had fungus growing in it. Mine did show up as a bit of softness in images however. Thankfully the group who I bought it from replaced it immediately with a grade better unit after I sent it in and they reviewed the unit with having the problem too.
    "Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care"

- Theodore Roosevelt -

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I noticed the 'halo' you're referring to is not perfectly round. What happens when you look at it so it's visible then you rotate the lens along the optical axis? Does the halo turn with the lens?
    I hate when people ask me what I see myself doing in 5 years...... I don't have 2020 vision!

Shooter
    Large Format
    This doesn't appear to be fungus, but that's a good idea..I'll see if magnification helps. It's very odd. I asked the seller whether it was normal or not, and he got really indignant and said there was absolutely nothing wrong with that lens and it was practically brand new and he shouldn't even have sold it, blah blah blah. He offered to buy it back with a 40% "restocking fee" so that gives you an idea on how that conversation went.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post
    I noticed the 'halo' you're referring to is not perfectly round. What happens when you look at it so it's visible then you rotate the lens along the optical axis? Does the halo turn with the lens?

Yes, it appears to move when the entire lens rotates. It doesn't move at all when I adjust the floating element.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I agree, it doesn't look like separation, but it might be haze. That's all I can think of, and since you mentioned the photos were sometimes soft, that would be my guess based on your one photo here.

40% restocking fee. What a jerk. I would file a paypal claim and force him to take it back w/ no fee, or contact my credit card company and file a claim. If you paid cash, it's yours until you can sell it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by markfitzgerald View Post
    Yes, it appears to move when the entire lens rotates. It doesn't move at all when I adjust the floating element.
    Then I'd say there's an issue with it. Maybe haze. Maybe coating separation. Maybe fungus. Might even be fungus etching.

I would think flare or reflections would be round, and not appear to rotate with the lens. I'd be sending it back.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd send it back unless it is a 'project' lens. You don't know if it is just 'haze' that wipes off or fungus damage to the coating (that does NOT wipe off).

Below are before and after pictures of a Fujinon SuperWide 125mm that I was able to salvage. Looks "Mint" from the outside but KEH appropriately listed it as "BGN." The haze wipes off easily, the damage stays. In this case it was worthwhile, but there is residual permanent damage.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF5112.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	235.2 KB 
ID:	109853
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF5113.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	278.6 KB 
ID:	109854

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin