Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,929   Online: 857

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Try Film for Classics. http://www.filmforclassics.com/

I've gotten 122 film for my Folding Pocket Kodak 3A from them. I think there might be a minimum order of $100 for international orders, but someone here might be willing to get some for you and ship it to you.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes Joze, it's the British Black & White Photography. Where are you located ?
    Greetings Søren

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by athanasius80
    Here's what I did. You get a (approximately) 6x12 cm negative from this method. I took backing paper from a roll of 120 film, and cut pieces to work as film guides. Scotch tape in place, and its a reversible change. Use the original 122 spool for the take up spool. Center a roll of 120 using dowels or whathave you. (I remember using coins taped together.) Now you need a donor roll of film, because you're going to expose a roll with the back off, and mark where the exposures end. My Kodak 3A had the Autographic door, so I could compare my marked up roll with a roll loaded in the camera and (in theory) avoid double exposures. Give it a try, I wish you luck.
    Somewhere on Bob Monaghan's extensive site, he had a page devoted to using 3A's as panoramic cameras although I can't find it at the moment. Here is a related page. The page I'm speaking offers a number of different ideas, one was to put a sheet of thin glass over the film plane in order to maintain film flatness.

Another idea I've seen somewhere is to use the little plastic wall anchors normally used to put a screw into gypsum board ("sheetrock"). You just find a size that fits the 'nub' and insert one into either end of a 120 spool. Haven't tried it myself. In fact, I have a 3A awaiting this treatment, someday when I get a round tuit.

Nathan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nsmith01tx
    Somewhere on Bob Monaghan's extensive site, he had a page devoted to using 3A's as panoramic cameras ...
    Here it is: Postcard Wide Angle Panoramic 6x12+cm Camera

Nathan

PS - keep us updated on this project, maybe it'll give me the required kick in the derierre to get my own 3A going

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Soeren, I'm in the U.K. and know the magazine well, so no problem there (not sure why my location isn't in my profile as I thought I put it in & can't see how to change it..)
    Thanks, Diane and Nathan....I can see I'm going to have no excuse now, but to get on with it!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nathen also a thanks from me. That site looks interesting.
    Regards Søren

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

3-A Folding Brownie

Joze et al,
    I'd be glad to clarify. Regarding the guides, think I just put in strips of Scotch tape running from one film roller to the other. In retrospect, I wouldn't do that again as it might scratch the film.
    You could work out the number of turns needed per exposure, but know that the turn rate will change. The takeup spool gets fatter as it goes through the roll, and each turn will pull a little more film through. Just take a donor roll of 120 and play with it I guess. :0)

Don't worry about the Autographic door. Most all Kodaks from the mid-Teens to about 1930 had a flip up door or slider in the back of the camera body where you could write information on the negative when using special Kodak Autographic film. It was a marketing feature that no one seemed to use.

Don't be shy if I can be of further assistance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joze

- athanasius, I feel there are real gems of wisdom, here, but could you clarify a couple of points?

Could you tell me how exactly you made the guides? Were they placed along the back of the camera?

As I don't have the Autographic door (I'm not sure what this is, so can't visualise it either) do you think it would work to simply work out the number of turns of the take-up spool, and count these each time?

Joze

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Is there anything here which would be helpful?

http://www.vintagephoto.tv/anscofilmtable.shtml

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Even though the film is expensive, it stikes me that the easiest way to handle it would be to get a couple few rolls and then buy some bulk film to cut down. Once you have the dimensions to cut and have the correct spools and paper, you can just keep rolling your own.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I took the lens off mine at the weekend and mounted it on a lens panel for my Shen Hao... Took it for trip to the upper reaches of the Thames at New Bridge - interesting name for a bridge built over 700 years ago (and still sitting on its original Elm foundations)...

Very disappointing: the lens is far too good! Below are two scans of the FP4+ neg (ID-11 1+1) taken at f/11 - a full 4x5 scan and a closeup of an edge detail. Usual excuses apply for the scan quality (in this case somewhat justified as the closeup is scanned at 3200 ppi for which the Epson 3200 photo scanner really does not have a good enough lens). A bit of sharpening applied to compensate for the mushy scanner lens.

Given that the telephone wires are at at the edge of the 4x5" negative, and are sharp as a razor on the neg, that's not at all bad for the lens (complete with fungus). You can easily count the slates on the roof of The Rose Revived pub.

Cheers, Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails newbridge45.jpg   newbridgecu.jpg  
    Last edited by Bob F.; 09-05-2005 at 07:35 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin