Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,990   Posts: 1,524,207   Online: 1173

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

3-A Folding Brownie

I have just become the proud owner of an Eastman-Kodak 3-A Folding Brownie (manufactured 1909 -1913). This took 122 film, which as far as I know is not available in the U.K. Does anyone know if it's possible to use this camera? I have the original wood and metal take-up spool. Is it possible to adapt other 'classic camera' film or 120 film or even large format in some way? (the neg. size would be 8.5x14cm). Any help would be appreciated!

Joze

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Joze
    I have just become the proud owner of an Eastman-Kodak 3-A Folding Brownie (manufactured 1909 -1913). This took 122 film, which as far as I know is not available in the U.K. Does anyone know if it's possible to use this camera? I have the original wood and metal take-up spool. Is it possible to adapt other 'classic camera' film or 120 film or even large format in some way? (the neg. size would be 8.5x14cm). Any help would be appreciated!

Joze
    Hello Joze,

I also have one of these and have thought about making an adaptor system so that I could use 120 or 220 film on it. I don;t think it would be too difficult, but it seems an awful lot of work (time).
    Mine came from my great-uncle who was a photography enthusiast and did his own developing and printing starting in the late 19-teens, and I'd would like to run just one more roll thru' it in honor of him.
    I'll be watching this thread with interest

cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 122 film size is usually 3 1/4 x 5 1/2. The Ansco Vest Pocket Junior for example uses 120 film and the size is 2 1/4 x 3 1/4. The roll is 1 inch wider for 122. It would probably be very difficult unless you can make a mask to fit the film window and some way of extending the winder/takeup.

If you want to spend $31 a roll Central Camera sells 122, 126 and other odd sized hand rolled from Tri-X and Plus X. Color is also available.

Too bad there is no easy way, I have a few older format cameras too...

Regards,
    John
    Last edited by JHannon; 08-28-2005 at 08:41 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Stupid spelling error

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In B&W Photography isue 45 there is an article, "Car boot conversions", on that subject by a Trevor Ashby. Its quite interesting and it seems easy to do the conversions including the changing of the lens to e.g. an 90mm Angulon.
    He shows some 120 spools extended with parts of a spare spool sawed into pieces and glued onto another one.
    Regards Søren

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just found this

http://members.aol.com/Chuck02178/brownie.htm

Might be of interest.
    Søren

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The easiest way to take one picture would be to tape a piece of sheet film into the back of the camera - orthochromatic film would be easier if you need to cut it to size, as you can work under red safelight.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Central Camera (http://www.central-camera.com/) in chicago sell it, but you don't want to know the price, even before they ship it to the UK. I'm guessing there must be some arial film size that can be cut down easily.

If you're 3a brownie is anything like mine, the entire front assembly seperates from the back. It should be pretty trivial to build a new back from mdf which will take a sheet film holder. I bought mt 3a with the intention of doing this, but haven't got round to it yet.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Soeren
    Just found this

http://members.aol.com/Chuck02178/brownie.htm

Might be of interest.
    Søren
    Thanks for the information Søeren. I was also thinking you would have to use the thinner 630 spool Vs the newer 120 so it will fit. If you somehow could find the original 122 spools, spacers could be added but you would have to still hand wind the 120 film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's what I did. You get a (approximately) 6x12 cm negative from this method. I took backing paper from a roll of 120 film, and cut pieces to work as film guides. Scotch tape in place, and its a reversible change. Use the original 122 spool for the take up spool. Center a roll of 120 using dowels or whathave you. (I remember using coins taped together.) Now you need a donor roll of film, because you're going to expose a roll with the back off, and mark where the exposures end. My Kodak 3A had the Autographic door, so I could compare my marked up roll with a roll loaded in the camera and (in theory) avoid double exposures. Give it a try, I wish you luck.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks to all for your prompt and helpful replies. This is my first post to this forum, and I can guarantee there will be more!

A couple of questions

- Soeren, is that Black & White Photography, that's published in Lewes, U.K.?

- athanasius, I feel there are real gems of wisdom, here, but could you clarify a couple of points?

Quote Originally Posted by athanasius80
    Here's what I did. You get a (approximately) 6x12 cm negative from this method. I took backing paper from a roll of 120 film, and cut pieces to work as film guides....
    My Kodak 3A had the Autographic door, so I could compare my marked up roll with a roll loaded in the camera and (in theory) avoid double exposures. Give it a try, I wish you luck.
    Could you tell me how exactly you made the guides? Were they placed along the back of the camera?

As I don't have the Autographic door (I'm not sure what this is, so can't visualise it either) do you think it would work to simply work out the number of turns of the take-up spool, and count these each time?

-David, - I've used Ilford Ortho Copy to make enlarged negs for cyanotypes. Do you think this would work well or is there another brand you could reccommend?

Thanks again. I'll definitely let you know how it goes. Keep me posted with any further insights!
    Regards,

Joze

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin