Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,502   Posts: 1,571,729   Online: 973

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bargain?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Bargain?

Does anyone have a view on this?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rolleiflex-Bla...QQcmdZViewItem

It seems to have light signs of wear, therefore not mint, it's certainly in above-average condition but it's selling for 10 times what I would expect.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For one thing, the bidding started at $1599 and there has only been one bidder, whoever it is has bid twice, once last night and once this morning. (US West Coast time) That alone might possibly explain it. Of course maybe there is something, perhaps the numbers and letters on the front, that indicates something to a serious collector. Either that or a serious nut case really wants it bad!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by David H. Bebbington

It seems to have light signs of wear, therefore not mint, it's certainly in above-average condition but it's selling for 10 times what I would expect.
    It's certainly not ten times what someone would expect as the bid is already $1600 with a day and a half to go. My experience of bidding on e-bay is that the price stays low until a frenzy in the last few minutes or certainly last hour. On this basis it could end up astronomically high! It is strange to be this high this soon.

Ivor Matanle in AP often does articles on old cameras and there is a Photographic Collectors' Club of Great Britain(PCCGB). There is a number to ring 01920 821611 for meembership but it does say not to ask for camera valuations. However if you hit it off with the secretary I'd be surprised if he/she wasn't prepared to pass a comment. The only problem is that the membership secretary is a volunteer who may not be able to return your call for a few days which is too late.

It makes no mention of a website. Ivor Matanle occasionally sells old cameras himself and can be contacted on imatanle@aol.com. He also has a number 01435 812537. As the bid seems so high this soon, he might make a comment in the course of a conversation especially if he thought you could be a future customer. Certainly I'd have thought he'd be a good source of equipment at a fair price.

I'll keep my eye on this one to see what happens. Hope this helps

Pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sorensen
    For one thing, the bidding started at $1599 and there has only been one bidder, whoever it is has bid twice, once last night and once this morning. (US West Coast time) That alone might possibly explain it. Of course maybe there is something, perhaps the numbers and letters on the front, that indicates something to a serious collector. Either that or a serious nut case really wants it bad!
    The seller's reputation seems quite high and the rest of the items for sale seem to be what I'd expect. I was once interestd in Retina 111 cameras and used to watch for these on Jessops Classics Camera site in AP in the U.K. This guy has one for a buy now price which is only a little above what I'd seen in Jessops.

I think you have something in the the numbers and letters or maybe it's just that a baby Rollei of this vintage and in good condition is a rarity. Somebody knows or thinks he does something which escapes the rest of us.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have been watching several (Zeiss, Nikon)cameras available from this seller for a few weeks now. He will often start the cameras at a high price, hoping to attract some eager buyer. Most of his auctions have ended with no bids; he will then drop the price $20 to $50 , for both the auction and BIN prices, and relist them for another week. If no-one bites, he will do this until someone bids.
    As an example, he listed a "Zeiss Super Ikonta A-Beautiful 645 rangefinder camera" for $479 auction, $499 BIN; this auction ended Aug 21. NO bidders, so he relisted twice, the same camera auction ended esterday at $375, $399 BIN. Several other cameras have followed suit. Waiting a few weeks could pay of with this seller.
    I saw a baby rollei in as nice, or nicer condition, sell for $235 on ebay a couple months ago. Is this seller having a friend "bid up" this one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't want to go too far OT, but what's with the "private listing" auction? All of his are private. What's the thought behind that? Just makes me think a seller has something to hide (not sure what though, as you still get to see the feedback) and it stops you from seeing what he has sold previously. Something not right there - as jamnut says, he could easily get a friend (or himself on another account) to bid an item up as you never get to see the bidders.

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob F.
    Don't want to go too far OT, but what's with the "private listing" auction? All of his are private. What's the thought behind that? Just makes me think a seller has something to hide (not sure what though, as you still get to see the feedback) and it stops you from seeing what he has sold previously. Something not right there - as jamnut says, he could easily get a friend (or himself on another account) to bid an item up as you never get to see the bidders.

Cheers, Bob.
    Bob, I've bought from him and he delivers. But most of his starting prices seem absurdly high. And hiding his bidders' identities makes it easy, as you suggested, for him to organize shill bidding. Thing is, I don't see the benefit to him of ending up with one of the shills high bidder.

A couple of years ago he'd offer items with semi-reasonable starting bids and insanely high reserves. I still remember one lens, a worthless Oscillo-Paragon, IIRC, of his that some buffoons bid up to over $US 250 without hitting the reserve. At the time I thought dark thoughts about establishing values for insurance fraud ...

Cheers,

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by David H. Bebbington

Postwar black babies are rather rare, speaking from a couple of decades of Rollei collecting. The price is possibly rich, but nowhere near 10x. If you are finding them for $160 please let me know - I will take them all!!

j

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob F.
    but what's with the "private listing" auction? ........
    Cheers, Bob.
    I would think you do this to protect the ID of a buyer so no one knows who they are and they don't have to worry about getting robbed.

Also, some buyers don't like to have others know what they are buying. After all, its no one elses business. How would you like having your jeweler tell everyone what you buy?
    (My jeweler works at Walmart )

Having someone bid up your auctions doesn't require a "private listing".

Sounds like he sells to the rich.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jon koss
    Postwar black babies are rather rare, speaking from a couple of decades of Rollei collecting. The price is possibly rich, but nowhere near 10x. If you are finding them for $160 please let me know - I will take them all!!

j
    The last Baby Rollei I had was a gray one with lens hood, a close-up lens set and a case, all in Exc++ condition, and it really did cost me $160! As jamnut notes, a comparable black example has sold recently for $235. I shall await the outcome of this auction with interest - I am almost certain it will be no sale!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin