Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,498   Posts: 1,543,143   Online: 1029

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm
    ...But look closely at the shutter. If I'm reading it correctly, the maximum marked aperture is 3,9. That's not quite equal to 6,3. So odds are that your lens' cells were swapped into it. If I were you, I'd check whether the marked apertures are even close to what they say.
    I bet that aperture scale is marked in U.S. units, not f-stop! US 16 is F:16, but the US doubles for each step whereas f-stops are multiplied by the square root of 2. US 8 is f:11, US 4 is f:8, and US 3.6 is f:6.3!

Could the widest opening be marked 3.6 and not 3.9? I can't tell from the picture...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    More homework for Whitey, eh?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nope, Sorry guys. It's a 6.3. Clear enough in person but unclear in the d---digipicture.
    HOWEVER... The stops from then on are 8,11,16, 12, 32,45 !!!!

Think this is an engravers version of a typo? Not American scale, Ole - stranger yet.

I'LL post an image as soon as I can. Seems I've made that promise before, on a few lenses you guys helped me with... I'm a little slow. Well, you probably guessed that from the arithmatic thing, huh? The trouble with getting all these cameras is that I spend more time looking at them and fiddling with them than using them. Gotta get into the darkroom, but it's at school, and there are kids there, and, and...

More homework! (old teachers' chant)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteymorange
    Mongo - I plan on putting the lens/shutter on a 4x5 and maybe even a 5x7 to see what the edges are like. Might as well play with the thing, right? Thanks.

Whitey
    Absolutely! Photography wouldn't be half so much fun if we couldn't play with these toys.

Heck, I bought an old Kodak Projection Ektar (an old enlarging lens) on eBay just because it came in a tilting mount. Do I need another enlarging lens? Nope...and if I did, a 50-year-old Kodak wouldn't top my list. Do I need a tilting mount? Nobody needs a tilting mount. Will I have fun using the mount to make a front-tilt lens hack for my Bronica S2a? You betcha'!
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok. At the risk of boring all and sundry, I've found a reference to this lens/shutter combination on this camera Kevin indicates that this was a version sold in the UK between 1908 and 1912. He lists quite a few other interesting lens combos for this camera as well.

Doesn't change much, but then... I'm easily amused.

'nuf said.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mmmmph! Price points that must have been not many pence apart.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin