Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,943   Posts: 1,557,707   Online: 1247

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    In my German photography book from 1910, the following Goerz lenses are mentioned:

Lynkeioskope Serie C, f:6.3, in 9, 12, 15, 18, 21, 24, 27, 30, 36, 48, 60, 75, 90cm. This is listed as a "Porträt-Aplanat".
    Lynkeioskop Serie E, f:7.7, in 9, 12, 15, 18, 21, 24, 27, 30cm (Universal-Aplanat)
    Weitwinkel-Lynkeioskop Serie F, f:15, in 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, 21, 24cm (Wide angle aplanat)
    Do you know if Goerz ever made shorter focal lenght of LYNKEIOSKOP?

I have seen Goerz Extra Rapid-LYNKEIOSKOP Serie C, No.1 (I could not check the FL). No.1 suggests rather 6" than 9".

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Lynkeioskop Serie C seems to have been made all the way to #000, or 60mm, according to Thiele. Herr Dr. Schmidt probably didn't mention those little lenses for non-serious photographers. He was very very adamant that no serious photographer would ever use anything smaller than 13x18cm plates, and even THAT was marginal!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by phfitz View Post
    Hi there,

C.P. Goerz Berlin was absorbed in the Zeiss/Ikon mergers in the 1920's. They tried selling Zeiss/Goerz Dagors for about 1 year but the brand loyalties clashed and they didn't sell well. Goerz Am. Opt. was started before wwI like Voightlander New York.

"Then there were a bunch of lenses marked "Berlin Dagor" assembled by Burke and James in the USA from crates of lens elements carted off post WWII as war booty."

Burke & James bought the old stock before wwII and were assembled in the U.S. but they did not flood the market with them and sold them for years. At least they didn't label them "Carl Meyer'.

Schneider made some Dagors and some were built in Switzerland AND there was a third 'Goerz' company in U.S.A..

The original Artars were called 'Celor', like Hurrell used for his portraits.

Lynn Jones did a series of articles in "View Camera" magazine years ago that covered most of the history, sorry but I don't remember which issues.

Curiouser and curiouser
    I know this is an old thread, but I just became aware of it. As far as I have been able to find, the notion that Zeiss made Dagors for only about a year after acquiring Goerz in 1926 originated with Lynn Jones's article some years ago in View Camera.. The following is evidence I've gathered to the contrary (I think I originally posted this on LargeFormat)

"A 1933 Carl Zeiss catalogue on the "cameraeccentric" website lists the Dagor in several focal lengths, both the f/6.8 (the 36 cm is f/7.7) and the wider angle f/9 versions. (This catalogue also shows Zeiss offering the Hypergon.) See:
    http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/zeiss_3.html
    And I have record of a "Carl Zeiss Jena Goerz-Dagor", 12.5 cm f/9 offered on ebay with a serial number 2,214,759. A Zeiss lens with this serial number would have been made in 1937.
    In fact the evidence is that Zeiss was still making Dagors even as late as 1940. A copy of a Popular Photography buying guide I have, dated May 1940, includes the Dagor in several focal lengths in the listings for Zeiss lenses.
    Kingslake, in _A History of the Photographic Lens_ indicates Zeiss acquired C.P. Goerz (Berlin) in 1926."

And it looks like Hartmut Thiele's recent references on Carl Zeiss Jena show that Zeiss made Dagors even later than 1940. (Wish I'd taken German for my foreign language requirement, though that would have been nearly 50 years ago if I had.)
    David

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin