Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,696   Posts: 1,482,509   Online: 973

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Another Darlot lens Question

Hello Everyone,

Here is another request for help with a Darlot lens I recently purchased on E-Bay.

Here is the info found on the lens:

ANCneMonJAMIN
    DARLOT StOPTnBte
    14 rCHAPON PARIS

The edge of one of the front elements is marked with Darlot + the address and a date of 1863. There are lots of initials on various parts of the lens body. The ring arround the rear element is with "D. PAYSAGE.

There is also a geared mechanism that moves the center of this lens. There appears to a place for another lens which is not there.

The lens is fairly large and has a brass cone. I estimate that the front element is about 77mm the rear about 65mm. The lens is about about 5" long but can be expanded by about 2-3" (pulled out to seperate the distance between the front and rear elements) when loosening a knob. I checked and it does cover 8x10.

My questions are the following. Is it a landscape lens? Is there a glass element missing from the center of the lens? (I payed good money for this lens and want to ake sure that it is complete) What is the lens design? Based on the Serial Number the body of the lens appears to be older than the date of 1863 edged into the front element. The lens body appears that this lens may be convertible??
    I am becoming really interested in old lenses and any input is appreciated.
    Thomas

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If thats the $460 one, it looks to me like it has a 'cone centraliseur' on it, so it should be a petzval lens. Mine is a bit later than yours but it also says 'portrait' on one side of the collar and 'paysages' on the other. What's the focal length? I'm a bit surprised it would cover 8x10.

Cheers, Richard

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lens Collectors Vade Mecum
    A.Darlot, (Opticien), Paris, France.

Jamin was at 14, Rue Chapon, Paris. Darlot probably began work here. Certainly he was later at 125, Boulevarde Voltaire, Paris. In USA, he seems to have sold on the E. & H.T. Anthony Normandie, Phantom view at No62x for 5x8in, and other cameras. Also on a Gennert N.Y. 10x8in camera. They have also been noted marked "B.F. & Co" on an early Daguerre type lens.
    The company was founded by J. Th. Jamin in 1822- ie it was pre-photographic, and was purchased by Darlot (1828-1895), a former employee, in 1855-1860, with the lenses carrying both names in c.1860-1861. Production was mainly of Petzval lenses but also included RR's, described as having 3 swing-out stops fitted. Another feature was the "cone centralisateur" which was a Jamin design of the mount, with a prominent cone behind the Petzval lens. Kingslake says that when Darlot succeeded in 1860, the lenses had both names for one year. An example at auction says: "Jamin et Darlot, Btes SGDG, R. Chapon 14, Paris." This is likely to be the form for one year. More often the engraving is: "Darlot, Anciennement Monsieur Jamin" as below, to indicate formerly Mr Jamin.
    It could be one of his "Reversible lenses" - rear-mounted for landscapes ("Paysage"), front-mounted for portraits ("Portrait").

It could also be part of a casket set, where each lens could be used alone as a "Lense de Paysage" or in combiations with others.
    I have one of these sets myself, although probably not by Darlot. It contains four lenses marked "Pays." and a focal length, one marked with both that ans a second focal length and "Comb.", and a sixth one marked "Prolongeur" and a negative focal length. That last one is a "Telenegative".
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rrankin
    If thats the $460 one, it looks to me like it has a 'cone centraliseur' on it, so it should be a petzval lens. Mine is a bit later than yours but it also says 'portrait' on one side of the collar and 'paysages' on the other. What's the focal length? I'm a bit surprised it would cover 8x10.

Cheers, Richard
    Yes - thats the one. The focal lenght is about 15 inches measured from the center of the lens. When mounted on my 8x10 the image does got quite soft arround the edge but I observed no light fall-off. Thanks

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Found it - thanks to the price.

It does look a lot like a Cône Centralisateur, which is a type of lens mount for a Petzval or other lens. Note that it is a decription of the lens mount and says nothing about the lens itself...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've been using mine BECAUSE it doesn't cover 8x10, but on an 8x10 camera. I've always wanted to capture the entire lens image circle. I'll try and attach one... haven't done this before so it might not work... This is only an 8x8 piece of the 8x10 print.

Cheers, Richard
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails loeffler2.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Richard,
    I like the image combined with the partial coverage of the lens. Thanks for sharing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Richard,

This is really a great picture. I like to watch it again and again.
    The real print on Art Classic is certainly amazing.
    Using the entire circle is really taking advantage of that type of lens.
    You should try a portrait, it could be terrific.
    Best regards,

Guillaume

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Guillaume,

I have done a few portraits with it, but they were all 4x5 and the lens covers 4x5... But they are pretty interesting still (to me at least) becasue of the shallow depth of field. I'm actually in the process of shooting things around my town with this lens and another 1800's one, on 8x10 film and will post a few more when I get them finished. Ultimately, I want to lith print them as well as print them on Art Classic, plus cyanotype and van dyke.

Thanks for the compliment! You can see a couple more of them in the Kirksvilel section of my website:
    http://www.richardrankin.com/rp/kirksville.cfm
    and that's where I'll be adding them as I get them.

Cheers,
    Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Richard,

I went to your website. Great POP and VD pictures.
    Imagine a close up portrait with full circle on VD or POP.
    I think it could really be striking.
    Let me know.
    Guillaume

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin