Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,555   Posts: 1,545,008   Online: 722

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another try

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    With a little attention to the size of the reflections, which way they move when you tilt the lens, and how fast they move, an amazing lot of lens construction details can be learned. The problem is that it takes 1) Practice, 2) Reference lenses, and 3) a good book of lens construction data.

My own knowledge on the subject has been sufficient to convince me that 1) ad odd old wide angle anastigmat is an Angulon clone; and 2) one of my "Rectilinear" lenses is not a "Rapid Rectilinear".

So which way do your reflections move?
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Just had 2 marguerita's with my bride and the reflections are swirling. What kinda lens do I have. Actually, Whitey, yours sounds like some class of small projection petzval. You'll undoubtedly find the middle and end reflections are actually pretty close together.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The movement of my reflections is, as it seems to be in Jim's case, entirely dependent on how much Dewars I swill prior to testing. I did the penlight test on a couple of lenses I believe to be Petzvals and I think they are all the same and it's bright-dim-bright up front (simplified when the light is moved farther away and the cell is removed from the barrel) and the rear seems to have two brights (as opposed to the viewer, who is not too brights.) Clearly I'm missing something but, hey.... What else is new?

Time to move on and take pictures with the thing rather than staring at it. I'll try to move the stop around and take it out and post the pictures.

Many thanks, again, for the indulgence and wisdom of this great group of teachers and virtual friends.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Actually, I can tell you quite a bit about the lens.

It is a camera lens, and while I have never seen these on a projector, I don't know why they could not be used in such an application.

In some collector circles these are described simply as "Tube Lenses" the male end screw threads of your lense may screw into a brass plate along with several other tubes to make multiple exposures on the same plate at the same time. I have several 4-tube configurations on different cameras and one single tube on a Simon Wing multiplying camera.

The most most desirable of this type of lens was manufactured by A. Darlot (also Jamin et Darlot) of Paris, France. Their lenses appeared on many American photographer's cameras with the name of B.F & Co. (Benjamin French) who imported many Darlot lenses.

There's a lot more history surrounding these lenses.....

I have, and have seen, several size tube lenses for different cameras. Some are marked on the outside with B.F & Co., Darlot, and some with just a number. If it is of Darlot origin, you will possibly find the Darlot name inscribed on the edge of a lens element. It looks as if it were written in pencil on the glass.

Dating: Jamin started the optical company in 1822. Darlot reportedly worked for him for a while and then purchased the business around 1828. I believe the company survived in name until the mid 1990's.

Your lens, whether a Darlot or copy, probably dates around the 1860's or later as these lense are found on that era camera.

I don't have a photo of a 4-tube lens on my web site but there is a catalog picture of an interesting shutter on a 4-tube Bon Ton that I posted. That will give you the idea of the 4-tube arrangement and the brass mounting plate:

http://www.cwriley.com/Photica/shutters.htm

Hope this helps.
    Bill Riley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ah! Good things come to those who wait. Thank you Bill Riley. I wondered whether it might be a lens from a multi image camera, like the ones used to make 4, 8 or even 12 tin-type images ( I have a book of gem images of distant relatives from New Bedford, MA circa 1880's.) The interesting thing for me is that the lens comes from the dresser drawer of my recently deceased father-in-law, who got me started in this interest by giving me a Rochester Camera Manufacturing Co. 4x5 that had belonged to his grandfather in 1902. This lens may well have belonged to the same gentleman, an avid photographer in the first decades of the 20th century. Here's his self portrait done on that camera and scanned from the glass plate. It didn't print as well as it scanned for some reason - probably my own low skill level.

By the way, if that link is your site, thank you for that as well. I have spent many hours there, enjoying your helpful, wide-ranging and informative text and great pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rudolphweb.jpg  

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Hey Bill Riley,

thanks for sharing your site, very interesting and I love the glass plate photos..

Dave in Vegas

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I thought it might have been a tube from a multi-lens camera as I have been searching for one of these for awhile. I'm trying to find one that covers sixth-plate but vignettes on quarter-plate a bit. If anyone has one for sale or trade, please let me know.

I believe Dallmeyer also marketed such lenses as Extra Quick-Acting Portrait Miniature & Medallion lenses though that is just conjecture on my part from looking at an old Anthony camera catalog. The Miniatures were for 2"x2" plates wide-open or sixth plates when used with stops, and the Medallions had a rear focus of 1".

Joe

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Glass Negative

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteymorange
    Here's his self portrait done on that camera and scanned from the glass plate.
    By the way, if that link is your site, thank you for that as well. I have spent many hours there, enjoying your helpful, wide-ranging and informative text and great pictures.
    I love old glass negatives. Especially when there is a story to them... Your picture for example indicates that the photo was taken during early or late summer....

The time-and-strike column mantel clock shows the time of about 6:15 (guessing pm). If the lighting is assumed to be from a window... I would guess that it would have to be late spring or early fall in New England....

I may be all wrong but it sounds good anyway

I suggest you try to get a real good scan of his rings... it looks like he is trying to show you something....

Bill Riley

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wooten
    Hey Bill Riley,

thanks for sharing your site, very interesting and I love the glass plate photos..

Dave in Vegas

Thank you for visiting.... I wish that I could put more on the site but time keeps it modest for now... I've got a lot more fun stuff to add....

Cheers,
    Bill Riley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photographica
    I love old glass negatives. Especially when there is a story to them... Your picture for example indicates that the photo was taken during early or late summer....

The time-and-strike column mantel clock shows the time of about 6:15 (guessing pm). If the lighting is assumed to be from a window... I would guess that it would have to be late spring or early fall in New England....

I may be all wrong but it sounds good anyway

I suggest you try to get a real good scan of his rings... it looks like he is trying to show you something....

Bill Riley
    Rudolf Rudner came over from Germany in 1902. He settled in CT, where he worked in a mill, bringing his family in about 7 months later. We have many pictures of him and many taken by him. In many of them he assumes the sort of pose that was common at the time - proud, formal and dressed to impress. And the mustache just kept getting bigger. Tonight my wife uncovered a studio shot from his early married life in Germany and another, more casual portrait from the last decade of his life. Same strong look. The glasswork on the table and the rings are prize possessions and the setting is meant to show off a comfortable home and some measure of wealth by his standards. This may have been a portrait to be sent back home, "Look Ma, I'm doing well here!"

We may even have the rings. We've become the chroniclers of the families and have even gone to the parts of Europe from where our families originated - earliest emmigrants on record for us - mid 17th century, latest- Rudolf and his bride. I've been facinated by the photography of families and the stories that come out when old photos are brought out.

Oops, this isn't a geneology forum, is it...? Sorry, but this is what got me into old cameras.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin