Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,958   Posts: 1,586,110   Online: 1144

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another try

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Another try

I posted this set of pictures the other day in the LF forum but got very little response. I'm hopeful that someone can tell me something about this type of lens so I risk the wrath of the photo gods and the moderators by repeating some of it here.

This lens baffles me in that there is no flange and no shade on the front but there is an stop plate some halfway down the barrel. The image circle is about 4". Maybe a quarter plate camera?

The plate in the barrel moves, though it is not clear that it should. Any sense of where it should live, front to back?

top view
    side view
    and the picture taken with it.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Looks most like a projector lens to me?

The plate is a stop - it should live somewhere in between the lens elements. About midway.

I saw it in the LF forum, but hoped someone else would answer. Most of my lenses have at least some writing on them to help with identification.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yup, looks like a projector lens to me, too. I believe Jim Galli had a thread a few weeks ago (?) where he showed a shot taken with one of these. As I recall it had the same look as the pic you took. I have one of these in a box that I keep meaning to clean up and try ... how did you mount it?

Nathan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yup... My first thought was a projector lens - it has that look of fitting in something else, like the ektagraphic projection lenses form the mid to late part of the last century (sounds ancient, doesn't it? I mean the 60's though the 80's.) but it doesn't have the gear track on the side, only the threads at the rear.

Ole, the writing is simply unreadable there is an "M" I think, and the number 8. I keep wondering if some chemical or UV light would bring out a ghost of the old varnish and lettering. Don't know why it would, just the part of me that loves mysteries hopes for some pseudo-science to help me out.

The stop is now about half way down the tube. I'm going to move it and remove it to see what I get. Least I can do is waste some film on an old piece. I have some J&C pro that was defective (but cheap!) just for this kind of thing.

Thanks for trying anyway, guys. the silence after my first post was deafening.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteymorange
    I keep wondering if some chemical or UV light would bring out a ghost of the old varnish and lettering. Don't know why it would, just the part of me that loves mysteries hopes for some pseudo-science to help me out.
    That's it, no more CSI for you.

DKT

maybe it's a lantern slide projector lens....I dunno, really, but I had to dupe a bunch of 100+ yr old lantern slides at work recently, and they wanted to recreate the bona fide projector, which was basically like a candle focused into the glass slides by way of a simple condenser...the originals were on wooden mounts that were maybe 4x8 inches or so, with the images as glass (hand colored) positives that were about 3 inches in diameter, yet circular....

just a thought, otherwise I have no idea what it is, but--I looked at some of these old projectors working on this project and they had bellows as well, so it's not as sophisticated as a helical mount to focus the lens....that stop in the middle?If it's like a waterhouse stop, you should be able to pull it out? otherwise, I have no idea really..

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've come across several of these that were a spring held fit in another sleeve that went into the projector. It was just friction but you could simply slide it in or out for focus. Cheaper than the gear drive. Silence means we're just guessing too. What kind of reflections do you get shining a penlight in? 6 brites = triplet. 4 brites at rear and bright dim bright at front = Petzval. bright dim bright at each end = RR but I've only found triplet's and Petzval's so far.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll check tomorrow on the reflections. I left the thing at school. And Nathan, I had a sort of plastic flange, whose original use I cannot guess, since it came in a box of stuff that included parts of various cameras and camera stuff from an industrial lab. The lens was a good fit into it and then the whole thing slid into a lensboard for the Anniversary Speed. I was going to make a board for it but this was a quick fit and I do like quick. Impatient sort, I'm afraid. Hence the reposting. Sorry if I stepped on peoples thoughts, I'm just like my students - "Can I have it now, sir? please sir, can I have it now? please?.."

Bad form. I will practice patience.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgalli
    I've come across several of these that were a spring held fit in another sleeve that went into the projector. It was just friction but you could simply slide it in or out for focus. Cheaper than the gear drive. Silence means we're just guessing too. What kind of reflections do you get shining a penlight in? 6 brites = triplet. 4 brites at rear and bright dim bright at front = Petzval. bright dim bright at each end = RR but I've only found triplet's and Petzval's so far.
    Thanks Jim, for the info on how to check these lenses. Now I will be able to add that to my previous knowledge, " Old ".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Reflections on a mystery

Oh-oh... I'm being challenged here (picture poor, benighted soul staring at lens with a bright light and his tongue hanging out)

The front reflects large bright-small bright-large bright. The middle, smaller bright image will separate into two images if the lens is tilted so that this reflection comes close to the edge. The larger bright reflections do not do this.

The rear is two brights. If there are other reflections, I did not see them. Too dim for this too dim soul? I think I need a hands-on helper. I'll bring it to the workshop in Springfield and seek enlightenment.

Following the rule of two houses (whatever you're looking for, it's at the other house) I left my other Petzval and RR lenses at my house (I'm at school now) I can check those for comparison this weekend. Me and the Missus are steppin' out tonight.

Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin