Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,235   Online: 840

8x10 Anthony Normandie

I have a "second variation" 8x10 Anthony Normandie ca 1900 which I successfully use with slightly modifed wood 8x10 film holders, (well, one holder so far, as only certain types can be easily modified...), which brings me to my question - what was used for film in this camera - plate or cut film? The modification is to reduce the width of a standard (modern) 8x10 wood holder by 1/4 inch, by sawing off 1/8 off each long side of a certain wooden holders. The 10" dimension fits exactly as it should in the back of the camera.

Were the holders for this camera just made narrower, or was a different film size in use, or was it likely a glass plate in a holder with broader frame...?

Paul Coppin

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    With a 1900 manufacture date, it was almost certainly originally intended for glass plates; while roll film had been around for a while, I don't know that sheet film as we know it was available before the First World War. That camera might well have been "full plate" (a size that originates from Daguerreotypes) which, significantly smaller than 8x10 (6 1/2 x 8 1/2, IIRC) would have left room for quite a substantial frame around the plate. Or it might have indeed been made for 8x10; film holder standardization stemmed from everyone who used wooden holders copying the Kodak Premo 4x5, 5x7, and 8x10 holder format, which came along shortly after WWI.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have you seen this page (http://www.fiberq.com/cam/anthony/norm2.htm)? Of limited help however as it does not say if it is film or plate... 8x10 film was available from Ilford at that date (a price list dated 1897 is at the back of my 1st edition (reprinted) Ilford Manual of Photography).

Bob.
    Last edited by Bob F.; 02-26-2006 at 01:40 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I have a variation 1 in 11x14. It had a plate back in it when I got it. Most certainly a plate camera. Also much more rigid than a Korona or a B&J. Richard Ritter did a conversion to film back for mine.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin