Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,729   Posts: 1,515,232   Online: 855

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dear DBP,

Check www.meggaflash.com, who are still making big bulbs including 'long peak' (at a frightening price). Sorry I know nothing about synching with BIG FP shutters but a long enough exposure with the front shutter will still work even with X-synch.

Cheers,

Roger

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    J and C has vintage bulbs...give John a call.

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DBP
    If I use the rear shutter, what shutter speeds would work with a bulb (press 5, 25 or maybe a 22 if I feel like scaring the heck out of people)? I don't really have any FP bulbs.
    None of the M type bulbs will give a complete image with any speed on the focal plane shutter in a Speed Graphic (at least not on mine -- the slowest timed speed is 1/10, and the only slit that covers the entire frame is the one for T, which can't be used in "run through" mode). You'll get a cut-off exposure similar to, but less sharp-edged than what happens when you try to use electronic flash a couple stops faster than synch speed on a "modern" SLR.

The Anniversary and older Speeds didn't even have a synch on the focal plane, except a first-curtain synch on the 3x4 Anniversary Speed (though I understand a few were retrofitted with first-curtain synchs).

The advent of flash was the big reason why Speeds started to be sold with lenses in shutter (instead of barrel lenses) starting partway through the pre-Anniversary model run. A front shutter, even if not internally synched, could be used with an external synchronizer, with which the flash fired the shutter (giving the necessary M synch delay) instead of the other way around. The synchronizer was just a low-voltage solenoid and linkage that would jerk the shutter release lever when it received a current pulse -- the same current that fired the bulb.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin