Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,968   Posts: 1,523,449   Online: 967

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Old Print Press?

A friend of mine gave me this item that belonged to her uncle. I haven't had a chance to clean it up yet so fogive the dust on it. I've never seen a press like this before and there is nothing on it that says who the manufacturer was. Is this likely something he made or was this a common item back in the day?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OldPress1.JPG   OldPress2.JPG  

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    That press looks very cool.
    I am wondering if it might be a book press.
    In any event looks like something to have fun with.
    I wonder how much pressure it can produce.

Gary
    "He who expecteth nothing,
    Shall not be disappointed." Robert Willingham, 1907

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    That looks like a pressure version of a blotter book. Nice collector's item, but don't get your prints anywhere near it unless you're able to replace the blotter material with new, clean photographic blotter. If you *can* replace the blotter material (it might be just loose between the boards), follow David Vestal's process for blotter drying and you'll get the flattest FB prints you've ever seen.

It might also be a flower press; I think it's probably too thin for a book press, but it would accomodate a good bit more thickness than what's shown there.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think that Donald is right about the device being a flower/plant press. I recall seeing something of a similar design in the storage area of the Botany department in the university I attended. Freshly-collected specimens are allowed to dry out for sometime in between sheets of paper, then when adequately dessicated, are then put under the press to reduce their volume further.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Donald, you are correct, there is blotter paper in between the boards (very old and stained) and it will hold lots more than what the pictures show. I hadn't planned on using it, but once cleaned up, it will make an interesting conversation piece.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin