Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,393   Online: 713

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Sorry, I always forget about those...

Bear in mind that when I first started to lust after a Leica, the Leicaflex didn't exist. I still have difficulty in remembering that they aren't called Leicaflexes any more.

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, here's a little snippet from the October, 1935 issue of "The Pocket Photo Monthly," page 600:

If you are equipped for home processing, positive-negative developing and printing, and have not done so, try this. Expose a roll of positive film (Weston Meter speed #6) in your camera usinf fair daylight lighting. Process by developing in D76 ten minutes, or DK50 five minutes, or D72 diluted four to one, for four minutes, fix and dry. The D76 is best as it is a softer developer. Make a print from same in regular manner. (sic) If you have not done so before, you will be surprised that you get fair to good pictures, if you have not shot your subject of too contrasty light. Avoid a white object in direct sunlight against a dark background. Measure your light condition for the highlight.

Now isn't that something! OH! In keeping with "Nostalgia Week," yesterday I bought a Kodak Duaflex II with flash attachment, two bulbs, instructions, a close-up lens thing-y, in a carrying case for $7 US at an Estate sale. I don't know why I bought it... it just looked so cute! And the shutter fires. haha
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    HEH!! I just found an article describing how to make your own developing reel for roll film! haha How cool is that!
    Jeanette

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    That's the stuff! It's just a blast to read articles like that after seeing the stuff that is in more modern magazines. By the way, I did the same thing a while ago. I got a Holiday Flash gift set, complete with manual and bulbs, still in the box. I'll never shoot with it, but it just looks neat. I can just imagine someone getting this set as a gift when it was new.

- Randy

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I picked up a book from 1939 on how to make color prints. It's all about how easy the carbro process really is.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi BW girl, I totally agree that old mags are a treasure trove of information and as a collector the ads are what draw me in.
    The printing quality of the photos in the old BJ's are beautiful even if the text is pretty heavy going.
    I still have all the copies of Camera and Darkroom that I bought back in the seventies and eighties, a great magazine indeed. Is there a modern equivalent out in the US?
    The only mags that I buy now are Black and White photo from the UK and View Camera from the US.

Shooter
    Multi Format

"Glass Plates Preferred" (from 1940)

From the "letters" section of the June 1940 issue of "Minicam Photography", a gentleman from Marlborough Massachusetts wrote:

"Sirs

May I say that I am an Old Timer in phtography, starting in the middle "Eighties" as a kid, with a 4 1/4 x 6 1/2" camera and a Dallmeyer landscape lens, doing all my developing and printing. Since then I've owned many cameras and travelled far, taking pictures all over the West, from the Arctics to Mexico- with not a thing to show for that part of the taking as everything of that sort was burned in a cabin at my ranch in the Colorado Mountains years ago. At present I own just two cameras: a 9x12 cm Linhoff equipped with a Turner-Reich Convertible f/6.8., the best all-around lens I have ever used for the work I try to do; a Series D Graflex- 3 1/4 x 4 1/4" - equipped wit a 6 1/2 inche, Zeiss Tessar, f/4.5.

I am interested only in landscapes, trees, flowers, animals, and occasionally, the small human-animal. I still stick to plates, considering this material far superior and a hundred percent easier to process than any sort of film. In fact, if I were forced to use film, cut, pack, or roll, I would give up photography with pleasure. I have never seen an enlargement made from film, if glass supports were necessary, that equalled an enlargement from a plate.

Tiny negatives do not appeal to me and I'd as soon go to hell for pasttime as to try and process those postage stamps-pardon the expression. I punched cattle for wages for many years, not in the movies or a drugstore either! but on the real Range where ten gallon hats and goatskin chaps were unknown. The smallest and only film camera I have owned was a Rolleiflex; a fine camera, but taking a picture too small to interest me.

I like MINICAM a lot, though I'm not thrilled with Hollywood in any way, Candids, Make-up, or bathing beauties photographed on a bum rock in the Grand Canyon. But you give lots of valuable information.

J.B. Bradlee Marlborough, Mass."

This really made my day when I first read it. Taught me two things: luddites aren't a new breed (of course they started off in the late 18th century bashing textile machinery )....and that the XXX vs YYY vs ZZZ kind of things we encounter now in photography have always been with us !
    Last edited by ZorkiKat; 06-10-2006 at 02:26 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used to sit in the University basement for hours, sometimes missing classes, and read through the old magazines. First heard of Adox from a way back magazine.

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I love it. Now I feel the urge to go back and read the letters sections of the old magazines. Up until now, the most recurring theme in mine, most of which are from the early 40s, is how to improvise in light of rationing. I particularly like one article on making ornaments from used flashbulbs. How the world has changed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DBP
    I picked up a book from 1939 on how to make color prints. It's all about how easy the carbro process really is.
    I found a step-by-step article this morning on making prints using this process.

I'm wondering if people here would want to read some of these articles... think I should make a list of some of them & post it? I'd be more than happy to scan the articles and put them in the database if anyone would want to see them.
    Jeanette

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin