Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,524,005   Online: 897

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Leica iii Series Cameras

How collectible do you think Leica's will be in the future if purchased now?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Personally, I think Leica has done the collector's market to death with its commemorative models ("50 Minutes Since We Last Thought Of Something To Commemorate", etc.). As far as I am aware, no one has gotten rich by buying these, I think almost all can be bought today for less than the original price. I think Leicas will continue to hold their value relatively i.e. better than other film-camera brands but will not be unaffected by the extreme contraction of this market.

Regards,

David

PS: Your post is headed Leica III cameras. If you can buy some of these new at 1933 prices, it would certainly be a great investment !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Generally, unless something is truly rare, and it can be well documented, or certified by Leica, then probably little chance of gain. One exception might ba a Leica rangefinder used by a professional photographer, but only if that photographer gains some notoriety.

All III series bodies are generally good classic style user cameras. The IIIG is one exception, but prices are already so high that they might actually drop in price. This market is sort of like buying a Ferrari, just on a cheaper scale. You would be better off actually using one, rather than speculating.

Ciao!

Gordon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    As you are probably aware, there is a pecking order among the III series cameras - the IIIa is a very good user, but collectors look down on it because so many were made. The IIIf is more expensive but may be the best user, for some reason collectors pay more for a "red dial" model than a "black dial." There are some very bad IIIc models around which were made during the war from inferior materials, you can tell these easily by the fact that the chrome finish is cracking and peeling off. The IIIg was regarded in awe by users of screw-thread Leicas as being the ultimate form of this kind of camera - as the ranks of people who thought this way become thinner with time, it has probably become less desirable, since an M2 or M3 can be had for the same money and is much more practical. I personally have owned models IIIa (2 examples), IIIb, IIIc (2 examples) and IIIf (2 examples). I enjoyed using them all but am quite happy now with a Voigtländer T. The best investment camera I had (but sold too soon) was a British Reid III, a copy of the Leica IIIc. The Reid was an inferior picture-taking instrument (fragile shutter) but because of rarity now sells at £1100 or more in mint or near-mint condition. I don't see any III-series cameras gaining significantly in value - for example, when I was a student in the 1960s, I bought a Leica IIIa with Summar lens in probably Exc++ condition for £25. This would now sell for £250 to £300, which is only in line with the rate of inflation.

Regards,

David

Shooter
    35mm RF
    There ar'nt many original IIc left, prices don't reflect this yet. Most have been synched by 3rd parties or converted to IIf...

Noel

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    My Leica IIIf with the f/3.5 Elmar would have cost $278 in the States when I bought it in Japan in 1953 for $150. In perspective, my pay as a junior Navy enlisted man was maybe $100. A functional used car was maybe $100 or $200. Gas was $.20. Even if the IIIf was in good used condition it would not have kept up with inflation. Better speculation at that time might have been the Japanese cameras that have become rare. My Leica M equipment, after hard use, hasn't nearly kept up with inflation. However, it has provided decades of reliable performance.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'd like to ask the question again, almost five years later.

How collectible (or as an investment) do you think Leica iiif cameras are now?

Thanks for all replies.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Collectible? Yes. There's always a market for Leica cameras. Investments? With a few exceptions, no. Bad as an investment.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I dont think you would want to sell a Leica if you are a serious photographer. This is a investment for your photography. You can invest to stock market , gold , platinum also but they cant effect to your photographs. You must decide , do you want art , do you want money . All paths are different for you.
    If you are from the camp who thinks your zeiss , nikon are better than peoples Leicas , you will not have fun and you have no business with Leica camp.
    Lots of people do not understand , read anything from Leica shots here and this forum is not a good place to ask peoples opinion on Leicas.
    There is Leica forum at internet but they are so busy to take out of focus 10000 dollar noctilux shots with digital ones.
    I think Leica culture lives with rare serious Magnum photographers and dont ask this forum but look at their pictures and decide for yourself.
    There are so many americans here , they were using 4 tons cadillacs 50 years ago but today they swear best car is toyota.
    You get the point , I think.

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Leica's took a serious dip in value a few years ago so my M3 and Summicron halved in value, same for my IIIa and Elmar & Summar. However since the start of this thread back in 2006 the market has bounced back and is now back above the level before the market fell.

A good Leica M series or late II/III series F or G is likely to be a good investment as well as an outstanding performer. Post WWII optics are way ahead of the earlier lenses.

Ian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin