Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,545   Posts: 1,544,487   Online: 1086

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    That's what I've just bought, except the only thing which seems to be missing is the lens board. That doesn't matter, since I have a small stack of them. It remains to be seen whether I can mount my smallest iris holder on one and still fit it to the camera - if I can, then that's my new Aplanat test bed.
    It's here!

Pre Anniversary model, functioning Kalart rangefinder, functioning focal plane shutter and all. No "tubular viewfinder" though, but I swear I saw one in a drawer somewhere. And a set of masks, too?

There was a lens board included. Not that I realy needed it - by digging through some odd boxes I found no less than 12 (!) boards! Anyone need one?

The small iris mount will - mount, and without interfering with anything. Weehee!!

Now I just need to find some screws which are both long enough and thin enough to mount it with, and I'll be shooting old barrel lenses at 1/500th of a second.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=Ole]It's here!

Pre Anniversary model, functioning Kalart rangefinder, functioning focal plane shutter and all.

Ole -I have the same camera. What a blast to use! I have many barrel lenses that I use, each with its own board (since they're so easy to make). Some of the old enlarging lenses give beautiful images when stopped down to f16 or so. I have a 161mm Enlarging Ektanon that works surprisingly well. If you happen to use a beseler enlarger as I do, the 4X4 lensboards fit perfectly on the pre-anny. Talk about versatile!

My camera has the dreaded "graflex" back, which I think is great. I have four bagmags loaded which gives me 48 shots. The rangefinder is set for a 127/4.7 Ektar. With a bagmag and that lens, it's focus with the rangefinder, shoot, cycle the bagmag, repeat. No filmholders banging around and twice as many shots as a graphmatic. The bagmags come up on ebay every so often, and they're not that expensive.

Enjoy.

Rick.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ricksplace
    ... I have many barrel lenses that I use, each with its own board (since they're so easy to make). ...
    That's a thought - I have enough lens boards!

But for the old lenses without retaining ring or flange, the small iris mount is perfect
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The thing to rememberr about old box cameras like the Kodak Brownie is that their simple lenses are optimized for subjects at near distances, say between 6 to 12 feet. If you stay within this range they are capable of taking quite good photographs.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've read this thread with great interest since I shoot mostly, no, almost entirely on what have been called crappy old cameras.
    One of my cameras came from a rubbish skip yet once cleaned gives great results [Franka Rolfix 6x9]. I now have another of these now given to me complete with 6x6 mask.
    Lenses are suprisingly good on some of these beasts. My Agfa Record -Apotar and the Voigtlander Perkeo I -Vaskar are sharp as you like. The KOWA 6mm is a brilliant tool.
    Others have charm and a wonderful softness about them. My Cosmic 35 brings out something in the images that I can get from no other lens. And the Houghton & Butcher box is my fav box of the lot - despite it's simple construction in wood - and produces lovely images.
    But, and this is the main point, all are fun and engaging to work with. Nothing automatic or semi-automatic to help you. They are wonderful cheap tools in the making of an image - and surely, having fun and making images are what it's all about.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The deed is done.

Now my new old Speed Graphic "pre-Anniversary" sports a modified aluminium lensboard with an iris lens mount mounted at a slight angle. I found the best candidate for mounting the iris was an aluminium board with the right size hole (saved a lot of cutting), drilled and tapped four holes, screwed the iris on, and there it is! My new Aplanat-shooter!

I must admit it looks rather nice - I just put a Meyer Aristoplan F:7,2 No.5 270mm on to try it. That's the absolutely largest lens that can be put in that iris.
    Norway

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    I just put a Meyer Aristoplan F:7,2 No.5 270mm on to try it. That's the absolutely largest lens that can be put in that iris.
    Not to mention very close to the longest lens that can be focused to useful distances on that camera. IIRC, your maximum bellows is under 300 mm...
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin