Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,964   Posts: 1,523,310   Online: 1215

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I think the brownies are worth a lot these days
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The reason for the two slightly different variations of my last post is that the first one, when I punched the "post" button, vanished into the ether, and I had recreate it. I'm not really that absent ----, uh, something that begins with "m." I think this computer is messing with my, something....begins with "m", I think.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    "Memory?"
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

DKT

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Knutsen
    Imprinted on the inside is "No. 2-C, Model A" with patent dates in 1916.
    Doug
    In McKeown's "collectors guide to Kodak cameras"-- it's listed as a "No. 2C Brownie". production dates were 1917-1934, original cost $4.50. another reference book (Kodak Cameras--First 100 years).... speculates that over a half million were made. The description reads: "Leatherette covered card case; metal frame carrier; case removed for loading by releasing two pivoted catches and pulling out the winding key; two reflecting finders; tripod socket; trigger guard."

and yet another description, this time from the 2006 edition of McKeown's...they ID it as a No. 2C Model A. current value is $5-$15.

some of the Brownies are worth some money, most aren't--because they were so common place. the special models--boy scout, world's fair, colored editions etc--with their cases and the like are generally worth more as a collectible. some of the box cameras are really interesting though, with range focusing features and the like--they can be very deceptive from the outside, but are rather sophisticated in some ways on the inside. the original kodak (only one or two maybe still around) and the models immediately after it--these are the ones worth money, and the ones historically important as far as the transition from plates to rollfilm---professional to mass market photography.....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    DKT is quite correct. I spend a lot of time haunting eBay, garage sales, flea markets, etc., because I love cameras. I have over a dozen varieties of the Kodak Brownies, all of much later production than the camera in question in this thread and, altogether, they'd probably bring about enough for a couple of rolls of decent film. Something I learned this afternoon from that site Richard referred me to was that in one of their anniversary years (I think it was 1912 - I'd have to go back and look for it again - Kodak produced a run of cameras to be given - free - to every child in the U.S. who acheived the age of 12 in that year. Henry Ford wasn't the only one to develop mass production to a fine art.

Doug

DKT

it was their 50th anniversary--1930--the child had to be born in 1918. they made 500,000 special edition cameras and gave these away, along with a free roll of film, in less than 3 days.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks, DKT. I knew they made a bundle of them for that purpose but, between discovering this give-away item and getting back to APUG, I spent so much time drooling my way through that site that I forgot the model and details. I'm nuts about old "non-collector-interest" cameras, paticularly rangefinders but just about anything short of Polaroids. I added a pristine Canon QL17 with case and a nifty Kodak Brownie Starmatic (WITH genuine Kodar f/8 lens) this morning. Total cost for both, at Goodwill: $5. I'm running a short roll of out-dated Plus-X through the Canon this afternoon.

Doug

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin