Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,502   Posts: 1,543,403   Online: 749

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am very excited because I just received an Argus camera I won on auction but I cn not figure out how to open the back to put in film. I want to shoot on Argus 4th but I have never had a range finder before and don't know anything about these cameras. This one is sturdy, a bit heavy and looks to be in excellent shape. Any Help????
    Prints available in the APUG GAllery
    www.gaylarsonphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What model Argus camera is it? Everyone is different, with different film compartments.
    Check out.
    http://arguscg.tripod.com/

James,

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jmailand
    What model Argus camera is it? Everyone is different, with different film compartments.
    Check out.
    http://arguscg.tripod.com/

James,
    There is no number or identifying marks on the camera. What do I look for to identify it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If it's black and looks like a brick, there's a chrome thing on the end with a little bump on it. Push in hard on the bump, and the door will open.

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by glennfromwy
    If it's black and looks like a brick, there's a chrome thing on the end with a little bump on it. Push in hard on the bump, and the door will open.
    If it is a brick (C-3) you may have to press very hard on that tab. Most of the A models also open by pressing a chrome tab, but the back then comes off. The A models are smaller and lack rangefinders. The C-4 and C-44 have keys on the baseplate to remove the back. I believe there is a catch at the top of the back on the C-33 that lets it open vertically. On the Argoflex series I'm pretty sure there is a latch just behind the viewfinder on the back.

That covers all the common Argus models.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Duly marked on my calender . Thanks for the reminder DBP.

I am going to post my results. Hope others follow my lead.

jmk

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by glennfromwy
    Yes it is a C3 and I was able to find a manual on line, get the darn thing opened and put in film. Not sure I wound the film right or got it in focus but I took some pictures with it today!! Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    still don't get what does Argus have to do with Enola Gay
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I really tried to ignore this thread, but alas, I finally succumbed. It seems I actually own a C3 which I purchased new circa 19-ought-58. I scrounged it out of the back of the closet and the shutter appeared to open and close on command. So this AM, I put a roll of 125PX through it at a favorite local test site.

A few shots I had the patience to scan are found in a corner of my PBase galleries. I would have liked to have tried printing on paper, but until I get a little more work done, my enclosed photo space is more of a dark room than darkroom. One of these days I'll have it all functional.

It's probably been thirty years since that sucker had film in it -- wow, that baby is really, really MANUAL! Not to mention my 65 YO eyes don't handle the teeny tiny viewfinder and rangefinder the way I thought I remembered.

I put one of my ACG submissions in the gallery. (And I'll try the other here.)

Hope to see more -- it may be silly, but it's fun.

DaveT
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Argust6_Oven_397x590.jpg  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin