Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,425   Online: 908

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkDynamo
    does anyone know how much they cost new?
    According to Kodak Service Pamphlet AA-13, list prices ranged from $45 to $143. Current value is probably in the dollar per pound range - I passed up some free ones a few years back.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    My parents had one. I think the idea of film in a small disk that looked something like a 3-1/2" floppy (introduced 1984) must have seemed really slick and modern at the time.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    I remember the "multimedia" slide show they made during Photokina that year to introduce and promote Kodak Disc. It was impressive. IIRC they used something like 300 computer controlled Kodak carousel slide projectors to project the show on about 100 adjacent screens arranged overhead in a half circle.
    If you're not taking your camera...there's no reason to travel. --APUG member bgilwee

Shooter
    35mm
    I vaguely recall seeing a Web page or Usenet news discussion about cutting up sheet film to make something that'd be suitable for use in a disc camera. I don't recall anything useful about this, though, so if you want to actually use your camera, all I can suggest is that you do a Web search. It's conceivable you'll find some tips on how to do it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The up side of the disk film was that it didn't suffer from the problems with "complexity" inherent with 35mm (some customers just couldn't handle that loading and rewinding process). It also didn't have the film flatness problems that 126 and to a certain extent 110 suffered from.

IIRC it also was the first format that provided for data collection in addition to image capture.

The most important advantage of it, however, was that in order to make it work, a lot of work was done to maximize film resolution, and to minimize grain. We have all benefited from that work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My mother had a disk camera for a while. She loved it because it could tuck away in a small purse. But the frames were about the size of a 16mm movie frame and the results were disappointing (to use the kindest word). From halfway across the room I could tell which pictures were hers and which were my dad's, shot with an AE-1. The disk camera shots made the earliest cellphone cameras look good!

DaveT

Zen
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ah wonderful disc cameras! I owned a couple as a child in the 80's - probably that which got me started in photography!

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have the one that my parents had at home in a drawer. I still have an exposed neg disc with it too. I don't know what happened to the rest. They are probably at their house somewhere.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As an aside, it must have been high-tech. Tom Clancy mentions the use of a modified one for spying in one of his books. I think it was "The Hunt for Red October."

Nifty technology, but everyone else has said, the negs were just tooooo small. Of course, I say that about 35mm now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian
    if you have an irish setter, they love to eat disk cameras.
    someone in my family got one for xmas way back when,
    and the irish setter ate it "just out of the box"
    Dogs also like TV remote controls because, I believe, they are crunchy. I've often thought that they should make these things out of plastic that tastes bad. Maybe then the dogs wouldn't eat them.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin